Essentially Monthly Income Credit Issue + rant

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Chriss
udonmap.com

Re: Essentially Monthly Income Credit Issue + rant

Post by Chriss » February 8, 2024, 9:06 pm

I think the guy said something like 'Civil servants don't think outside the box' and he knew as he used to be one...

I do have to add when the IO who took my application had completed the paperwork I was asked outright for 2,000bht, I handed over the 1,900bht I'd prepared, nothing was mentioned but the glare, I think, said it all..

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » February 8, 2024, 10:51 pm

Chriss wrote:
February 8, 2024, 9:06 pm
I do have to add when the IO who took my application had completed the paperwork I was asked outright for 2,000bht, I handed over the 1,900bht I'd prepared, nothing was mentioned but the glare, I think, said it all..
Its only small change... Let it go...Just go with the flow... much easyer because you can never win... Maybe when you go to get your visa stamped into your passport you will be made to wait... why antagonize them...? its only once a year...

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 9, 2024, 12:24 am

Chriss wrote:
..... I was asked outright for 2,000bht, I handed over the 1,900bht I'd prepared,
=D>

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 9, 2024, 9:55 am

Years ago when I moved from Jomtien to Loei province, There was an old guy who ran that immigration office. He found several things for my request for a retirement visa that didn't satisfy him. I told him to just forget it and I would apply for a visa based on marriage, His attitude immediately changed and the nit picky things were overlooked. He told me that the marriage visa was very difficult and a lot of work. (for him). SCB would not pay me any interest on the 800,000 baht in the bank. Our village has a bank called the Thai Farmers that would pay high interest. Immigration approved that bank and everything was fine for several years until that office got a new female boss. She refused to accept that bank and that caused me HUGE problems. I agreed to move the money back to the SCB but that was not good enough because it wasn't in that bank for the three month requirement.She told me that I had to leave the country, come back in and start over. I ended up going back to Jomtien for advice. They told me that it was up to her and they couldn't help me. They did tell me to go to the US Embassy and get an income verification. They told me that she wouldn't like it but she had to accept it. Fortunately because she was such a hateful bitch she didn't last long and her replacement was much easier to deal with. Never had any problems since but still no interest from the SCB because I am a US citizen. That bank also refused to deposit a check from the US Internal Revenue Service.into my account.The bank manager is a genuine asshole but the SCB is the only bank branch in our small village. The next nearest bank is about 20 KM away.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 9, 2024, 10:47 am

glalt wrote:
February 9, 2024, 9:55 am
SCB would not pay me any interest on the 800,000 baht in the bank.....
....... but still no interest from the SCB because I am a US citizen.
How strange. You know any reason why there's a problem because you're from US?
I'm with the SCB too, British and maintain at least 400,000 baht for marriage extension reasons. I'm looking at the bank book now, receive interest, although of course, it's not a sum to get excited about.

Just to add something to my Immigration problem. Why I didn't think of this at the time? Immigration wasn't happy with a late credit, by just two days, of my largest pension payment, insisting it should have come in the previous month. Having now checked the calendar, I see there were two Thai holidays at the time, banks closed I think, which quite likely delayed the transfer. Hopefully, Immigration staff would see I'm hardly in control of that and exercise some flexibility?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 9, 2024, 11:21 am

One major problem with Thai Immigration is that the head of each office is able to make their own rules and we have no way to dispute their opinions. The hateful female boss at Loei immigration caused so many problems for us helpless farangs that her bosses eventually saw fit to move her. It was amusing that one of the cheeky ladies who worked at that office was joking with me when I asked her where the bitch was, she grinned at me and asked if I missed her. I replied that I missed her as much as I missed a migraine headache. The entire office burst out laughing. Those office workers are really a pretty good bunch but they know better than to question their boss.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 9, 2024, 11:42 am

Pooclover wrote:
February 8, 2024, 10:51 pm
Chriss wrote:
Its only small change... Let it go...Just go with the flow... much easyer because you can never win... Maybe when you go to get your visa stamped into your passport you will be made to wait... why antagonize them...? its only once a year...
Nonsense. They're government workers who already get paid to do their jobs, badly and otherwise plus they retire at 60 with a pension. Sod them and their bloody tip jars. After all, "it's only once a year..."
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 9, 2024, 11:50 am

Brian Davis wrote:
February 9, 2024, 10:47 am
glalt wrote:
February 9, 2024, 9:55 am
SCB would not pay me any interest on the 800,000 baht in the bank.....
....... but still no interest from the SCB because I am a US citizen.
How strange. You know any reason why there's a problem because you're from US?
I'm with the SCB too, British and maintain at least 400,000 baht for marriage extension reasons. I'm looking at the bank book now, receive interest, although of course, it's not a sum to get excited about.

Just to add something to my Immigration problem. Why I didn't think of this at the time? Immigration wasn't happy with a late credit, by just two days, of my largest pension payment, insisting it should have come in the previous month. Having now checked the calendar, I see there were two Thai holidays at the time, banks closed I think, which quite likely delayed the transfer. Hopefully, Immigration staff would see I'm hardly in control of that and exercise some flexibility?
Nice try Brian, but you're still "thinking outside the box". Regardless if it was Thai bank holidays, another coup or a nuclear holocaust causing the 2-day delay, the munters will still insist, "Cannot " as it's in their, small-minded, sh*t-colored DNA.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 9, 2024, 12:11 pm

Change the payment day to avoid future issues

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 9, 2024, 2:11 pm

tamada wrote:
February 9, 2024, 11:50 am

Nice try Brian, but you're still "thinking outside the box". Regardless if it was Thai bank holidays, another coup or a nuclear holocaust causing the 2-day delay, the munters will still insist, "Cannot " as it's in their, small-minded, sh*t-colored DNA.
Not sure I would be making offensive comments like that on a public forum - which I think we have been told before is monitored by UT Immo.

But go for your life.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 9, 2024, 2:58 pm

jackspratt wrote:
February 9, 2024, 2:11 pm
tamada wrote:
February 9, 2024, 11:50 am

Not sure I would be making offensive comments like that on a public forum - which I think we have been told before is monitored by UT Immo.

But go for your life.
Don't forget, their tip jar is just over there ---------->
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 9, 2024, 5:33 pm

Pooclover wrote:
The theft of 100 baht is not going to cause me to live on bananas and sticky rice. :lol: The argument of whether to just accept corrruption, being ripped off, keeping a low profile, or saying no goes on. This by people who should be an example of integrity. Some hope! Actually, 700 baht 'tip' asked for in my case for the privilege of changing my type of extension, even though a whole lot less work needed on both sides - and no doubt 500 baht will be demanded for the 10 minute job of transferring info from an old to new passport. I can recall 10 years back when a senior officer, through gritted teeth, admitted it was a free service. Again, I'm happy to pay a fee, but give me a receipt. But more money to be made the way it is. I've given examples of how much these 'tips' can total in a month using minimal numbers and it's a nice perk even when the total is shared around.
I wonder even if the receipts mean a lot. Do they print their own? :-k Are there independent auditors, who aren't 'on the take' themselves? Doubtful.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 9, 2024, 7:11 pm

tamada wrote:
February 9, 2024, 2:58 pm

Don't forget, their tip jar is just over there ---------->
And just a bit further over is the brick wall - similar to the one in your avatar. ;)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 9, 2024, 9:36 pm

"Nonsense. They're government workers who already get paid to do their jobs, badly and otherwise plus they retire at 60 with a pension. Sod them and their bloody tip jars. After all, "it's only once a year..."

Remember Government Officials can speak English and likely read Udonmap

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 10, 2024, 9:36 am

Good reminder of the post Khun jackspratt just made a few posts above yours,
by jackspratt » February 9, 2024, 2:11 am

tamada wrote: ↑February 8, 2024, 11:50 pm

But go for your life.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

caducus
udonmap.com

Post by caducus » February 10, 2024, 3:11 pm

As someone who was at Udorn Thani Immigration Ofiice in the morning of 7th February may I make a few observations.

I have been using the Udon Immigation Office for less than seven years, so some might think me a newcomer. Last Wednesday ((7th February) was the first time that there appeared to be three arguments taking place at about the same time. One with an immigation official, another with a spouse, and a third with what I assume to be an agent of some kind.

My own experirnce of the local Immigation Office is that it is speedy, friendly, and efficient.

I am very happy to be an immigrant in Thailand rather than in my own country. Back there they have even ditched the name 'Immigration Department', and it is now known as 'Border Force'.

I pity any person who has to pay them a visit.

We are talking about what the government refers to as 'legal immigrants'.

The only persons now allowed to flee any conflict are refugees from Hong Kong and Ukraine. The rest are deemed 'Illegal Immigrants'.

These, too, are surely deserving more sympathy than they are shown at the present time.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 10, 2024, 5:01 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
February 8, 2024, 9:43 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 7, 2024, 9:47 pm
.......There is so much whining in your post you need some really smelly cheese like Trou du Cru or Vieux Lille to add to it.
It's just occurred to me that, unusually, I completed missed your play on words (whine, wine) and perhaps your intention to inject some humour. My apologies, therefore, for an element of my previous reply. Not being a wine drinker very often and no particular liking for cheese, I didn't put one and one together. I can tell you the left back for Accrington Stanley though! For me at least, there is a bad smell in the Immigration Office.
No problem, I was thinking to make it a bit more obvious by suggesting Stinking Bishop but felt that was going too far https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_Bishop_(cheese). The intention was to draw a connection but be a little subtle about it FWIW Trou du Cru or Vieux Lille are probably rather much for me and I really like cheese though probably only drink 6 bottles of whine a year

Also don’t get me wrong the absolute requirement on dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s is frustrating, though the Thai bureaucracy doesn’t hold a candle to the British version.
Tourist Visa to Singapore: about 10 minutes and 2 documents completed in the airport
Tourist Visa to Malaysia: less than 10 minutes and a couple of documents completed at the border
Tourist Visa To U.K., a 15 page form, another 50 pages of documents, a visit to the processing offices and probably 15 days before an answer!

It is probably a bit easier to get Thai bureaucrats to be flexible than the UK version.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2024, 12:38 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 10, 2024, 5:01 pm
Also don’t get me wrong the absolute requirement on dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s is frustrating, though the Thai bureaucracy doesn’t hold a candle to the British version.
Tourist Visa to Singapore: about 10 minutes and 2 documents completed in the airport
Tourist Visa to Malaysia: less than 10 minutes and a couple of documents completed at the border
Tourist Visa To U.K., a 15 page form, another 50 pages of documents, a visit to the processing offices and probably 15 days before an answer!

It is probably a bit easier to get Thai bureaucrats to be flexible than the UK version.
That's an incredible straw clutch stww, and it's also a load of irrelevant nonsense.

The UK visit visa process, although more arduous than previous, is a cut and dried application process with a cut and dried review procedure and a cut and dried expected date of approval (or otherwise) and no, you can't bung a few baht under the table to get faster or better outcomes.

It has absolutely NO comparison with the ball ache served up DAILY by the small-minded jobsworths that infest the RTP's immigration division and proudly serve as the public face of their deceit, ineptitude and corruption.

PS: So "probably" 15 days for a UK visit visa notification versus the 30-day approval of a marriage extension? It's amazing what some folk will put up with

PPS: Don't forget the tip jar, ok?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 11, 2024, 7:38 am

Pooclover wrote:
Chriss wrote:
It's not a case of antagonising at all, that's the last thing I do at Immigration, just preparing everything correctly before my visit. They require 2 copies of everything, they get 2 copies of everything, the cost, as quoted on the application form, is 1,900bht, I give them 1,900bht... Done this every year, don't think I've been asked directly for 2,000bht before, never been held up when I return for the final stamp, usually in and out in 5 or so minutes.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 11, 2024, 9:33 am

tamada wrote:
February 11, 2024, 12:38 am

The UK visit visa process, although more arduous than previous, is a cut and dried application process with a cut and dried review procedure and a cut and dried expected date of approval (or otherwise) and no, you can't bung a few baht under the table to get faster or better outcomes.

PS: So "probably" 15 days for a UK visit visa notification versus the 30-day approval of a marriage extension? It's amazing what some folk will put up with

PPS: Don't forget the tip jar, ok?
OH what a wonderful life you must lead with the fairies and rainbows!

There is so much false information above I’m likely to miss some
1) cut an dried! Not remotely, a statement on the site is don’t give too much information! There isn’t a required list.
2) dried expected date of approval (or otherwise)! absolutely not 90% to be decided within 3 weeks; 98% within 6 weeks and 100% within 12 weeks of the application date (where 1 week is 5 working days);. Cut and dried!!!
3) and no, you can't bung a few baht under the table to get faster or better outcomes.; correct only that it’s not under the table and not a few baht! The faster fee is ฿22,000 (£500) and the much faster fee is ฿45,000 (£1000)

4) dried review procedure not for a visit visa you have no right of appeal if you have been refused a visitor visa

As I said the British bureaucracy is so far above the Thai one in bloody mindedness it’s no even a competition t
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on February 11, 2024, 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”