U.S. Politics

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by Whistler » August 12, 2023, 8:00 pm

Who suggested that all students are radical lefties

You did LYM, with this statement. You singled out one group only.

'Check out the campuses of many U.S. Universities, libraries and bureaucracies. and you'll find your woke/progressives creating numerous problems'

Don't you review your own posts before tangling yourself up in knots?

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2023, 1:58 am

Whistler wrote:
August 12, 2023, 1:56 pm
If you make a statement it is worth providing your credentials. If you have a problem with that tough luck.

For a guy who frequently boasts about how many women he has banged, you come over as a complete hypocrite.

If discussing politics, then credentials have some credibility and merit. In talking about being a Sensitive New Age Bonker (SNAG) it has no bearing on any discussion on this forum, just indulgent boasting.
What has "credibility and merit" got to do with anything you've posted above? Despite the editing, it still comes across as just another serving of your figjam.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2023, 2:07 am

Whistler wrote:
August 12, 2023, 8:00 pm

'Check out the campuses of many U.S. Universities, libraries and bureaucracies. and you'll find your woke/progressives creating numerous problems'

Since when has the suggestion of "many" as in "many U.S. Universities" been construed as "all" as in "all students"?

Don't get your firehose in a tangle there Walter.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 13, 2023, 10:22 am

tamada wrote:
August 11, 2023, 3:08 pm
Whistler wrote:
August 11, 2023, 2:18 pm
tamada wrote:
August 11, 2023, 9:44 am
So the extremists that exist in Democrat party are just as powerful and bad as their Republican counterparts and notably just as nervous. Both sides appear to be going for broke while hoping the other side implodes first.
I agree, but...

There have always been extremists in almost every government throughout the world, but fortunately they have been a minority and kept from doing harm by the moderate majority in most cases.

In the case of the USA today, there are many at top, and in positions of power in the Republican Party who are very much extremists, there are few if any in senior positions in the Democratic Party.

I am not exaggerating when I say the Republican Party is dominated by extremists.
How come we only hear about the noisome, perpetually angry few? Just because they don't do all that hair on fire stuff doesn't mean all the Democrats are the polar opposite and a friendly bunch of moderates. The Republicans may be in-your-face and rowdy about grabbing power but I see the Democrats as simply being more Machiavellian in their quest for the same thing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... es/672856/

They both have similar goals, but for totally different reasons and goals (if you take out human nature, quest of power).

One party is out for only themselves, other party does the same......but spreads the wealth more evenly.

One party knowingly breaks or skirts the law, other party keeps with in the rule of the land or at least tries to.

"Democrats as simply being more Machiavellian in their quest for the same thing." Seems Machiavellian more apply describes the Republican Party.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong.......Machiavellian does describe both parties, with a major difference.

Republican Machiavellianism is a trait that denotes cunningness, the ability to be manipulative, and a drive to use whatever means necessary to gain power (whatever means necessary, even breaking the law).

Dem Machiavellianism is a trait that denotes cunningness, the ability to be manipulative, and a drive to use whatever means necessary to gain power (allowed by law).

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 13, 2023, 11:53 am

tamada wrote:
August 13, 2023, 2:07 am
Whistler wrote:

Since when has the suggestion of "many" as in "many U.S. Universities" been construed as "all" as in "all students"?

55. One of the weakest responses I have seen. LYM very, very clearly identified progressive/woke students ONLY. He was highlighting that group only, whereas in reality their is a significant right wing population in student bodies that is very active. In fact amongst the Young Liberals in Australia, they revel and boast about 'Black ops'. In the USA, Charlie Kirks extremist right wing Turning Point has a significant following among conservative student groups.

LYM points the finger at one group only, his posts on here, targets what he calls woke/progressives. If you wish to deny that, go for it, but your weak arguments don't hold water.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 13, 2023, 12:04 pm

Whistler, it seems that you want to confine your comments to universities and not consider the impact of the radical left in wider society. So be it.

Let's change direction and look at Whister's List.

Whistler's List

Whistler wrote: August 6, 2023,
Trump on the other hand his highly polarising, Glalt, sempfiguy, trekkertony, maybe Sport and a few others still think the sun shines out of his orifice, most others seem to think the criminal actions against him are overdue.
a bit later you added,
Methinks Tam is a Trumpster.
What is the membership supposed to think of your list? Are we supposed to cancel them, ignore them or treat them with disdain? What exactly is the purpose of this list? Thanks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 13, 2023, 12:27 pm

Good Lord LYM. It was you that raised the role of what you called woke students, not me.

Since that statement has been comprehensively debunked, you know want to change the demographic. The gun totting/climate denying/GOP/MAGA/Right Wing loonie crowd is shredding democracy in the USA. Those Left wing loonies' activities pale by comparison.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2023, 2:50 pm

Whistler wrote:
August 13, 2023, 11:53 am
tamada wrote:
August 13, 2023, 2:07 am
Whistler wrote:

55. One of the weakest responses I have seen. LYM very, very clearly identified progressive/woke students ONLY. He was highlighting that group only, whereas in reality their is a significant right wing population in student bodies that is very active. In fact amongst the Young Liberals in Australia, they revel and boast about 'Black ops'. In the USA, Charlie Kirks extremist right wing Turning Point has a significant following among conservative student groups.

LYM points the finger at one group only, his posts on here, targets what he calls woke/progressives. If you wish to deny that, go for it, but your weak arguments don't hold water.
I thought you had already fobbed off students as irrelevant with an earlier, "Want to deliver pamphlets and door knock an electorate, go to the uni political club and get 20 pimply faced youth to do the job for a couple of pizzas and cans of pop... nobody takes them seriously."

Or maybe that's the only the lefty ones because now you say "...in reality their is a significant right wing population in student bodies that is very active. In fact amongst the Young Liberals in Australia, they revel and boast about 'Black ops'. "

More and more it appears that, like your allegedly diverse heritage, education and work, you're all over the shop.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 13, 2023, 4:03 pm

tam, you never let go do you? I don't know anybody that would ever say I am all over the shop. I am a moderate progressive that is seeing a worrisome rise of right wing bigots causing a lot of problems.

1. I believe that a healthy political environment is one that balances citizens' rights without trampling on the ability of innovative businesses to thrive.

2. I believe that self-regulation for vital industries and the financial sector is a joke, these bodies are driven by KPI's linked to oft-obscene salaries, not social responsibility.

3. I believe that the Right-Wing, particularly in the USA is out of control, UK with the conservatives not as bad, but bad, ditto many other countries.

4. I think that religion has been hijacked and twisted to reinforce entrenched biases. I am all for tolerance in religion, but no time whatsoever for the vast majority of religious hierarchies.

5. I think conspiracy theorists are nut jobs, they make up facts, frequently lie through their teeth, deny any evidence that refutes their silly theories and are susceptible to being manipulated by others up the food chain who benefit from using conspiracy theories to attack their enemies. eg. No 45 promoting election fraud.

That is not, and never was all over the shop. If you think that is not the case, please provide examples, but good luck, there are none. I would suggest you address the content of posts rather than making personal, unsupportable statements.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2023, 4:24 pm

Whistler wrote:
August 13, 2023, 4:03 pm
tam, you never let go do you? I don't know anybody that would ever say I am all over the shop. I am a moderate progressive that is seeing a worrisome rise of right wing bigots causing a lot of problems.

1. I believe that a healthy political environment is one that balances citizens' rights without trampling on the ability of innovative businesses to thrive.

2. I believe that self-regulation for vital industries and the financial sector is a joke, these bodies are driven by KPI's linked to oft-obscene salaries, not social responsibility.

3. I believe that the Right-Wing, particularly in the USA is out of control, UK with the conservatives not as bad, but bad, ditto many other countries.

4. I think that religion has been hijacked and twisted to reinforce entrenched biases. I am all for tolerance in religion, but no time whatsoever for the vast majority of religious hierarchies.

5. I think conspiracy theorists are nut jobs, they make up facts, frequently lie through their teeth, deny any evidence that refutes their silly theories and are susceptible to being manipulated by others up the food chain who benefit from using conspiracy theories to attack their enemies. eg. No 45 promoting election fraud.

That is not, and never was all over the shop. If you think that is not the case, please provide examples, but good luck, there are none. I would suggest you address the content of posts rather than making personal, unsupportable statements.
What have your five totally understandable and largely agreeable beliefs got to do with the apparent contradiction of the following (with my emphasis).
Whistler wrote:
August 11, 2023, 5:59 pm
Want to deliver pamphlets and door knock an electorate, go to the uni political club and get 20 pimply faced youth to do the job for a couple of pizzas and cans of pop... nobody takes them seriously
and,
Whistler wrote:
August 13, 2023, 11:53 am
in reality their is a significant right wing population in student bodies that is very active. In fact amongst the Young Liberals in Australia, they revel and boast about 'Black ops'. In the USA, Charlie Kirks extremist right wing Turning Point has a significant following among conservative student groups.
We're not looking for your next election manifesto here.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 13, 2023, 5:13 pm

You just don't get it do you?

LYM was painting an almost doomsday picture of left-wing activists students. Ignoring right-wing activist students. When I say nobody takes them seriously, I mean it. The political parties can recruit an unpaid pamphlet-delivering workforce. Maybe recruit futures adults into the rank and file, but do you think getting a knock on the door by some nerdy kid in a campaign TShirt is going to make the householder say 'hey, this kids really changed my mind, they have really driven home the gist of what this parties platform is all about.' They are irrelevant, your kidding yourself if you think they sway voters intentions. The pamphlet may be read and that is about the only value they provide, free letter drop distribution cannon fodder.

I posted this to refute your 'all over the shop' comment, no election manifesto, that is a plainly stupid statement, what election are you blabbering on about?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 14, 2023, 9:45 pm

I see you are maybe unfamiliar or uncomfortable with connotative speech?

My all over the shop allusion was with regard to your eagerness to label some students as politically irrelevant at the same time as saying that some are politically very active. Which is which here? Are LYM's "woke left" students irrelevant and the Conservative "active right" ones influential or is it vice versa? Or are they both weak as piss or both equally involved and empowered? When your chosen examples jump between Australia and America, well it isn't exactly in the same shop is it?

The manifesto allusion was after your 5 item "bullet point" presentation of your beliefs that nobody, let alone myself, have solicited or even questioned. Thanks for sharing but.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 14, 2023, 10:04 pm

Tam, why don't you read a bit more of the thread before mouthing off. It was LYM that raised the issue about the USA and other countries not me.

Do your homework before making a fool of yourself.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 14, 2023, 11:37 pm

Whistler wrote:
August 14, 2023, 10:04 pm
Tam, why don't you read a bit more of the thread before mouthing off. It was LYM that raised the issue about the USA and other countries not me.

Do your homework before making a fool of yourself.
LYM mentioned other countries but you jumped right in there, full of your own disparaging self-importance and as usual, sucked any air out of the room.

Anyway, your capitulation on this issue is duly noted and accepted.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 15, 2023, 12:33 am

Tam with no arms and no legs, let's call it a draw with thanks to Monty Python. 55
Last edited by Whistler on August 15, 2023, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 15, 2023, 11:20 am

Now that this topic has come to an end, let's see if Whistler can provide some insight into his list, which must have taken time and thought to devise.

Whistler's List

Whistler wrote: August 6, 2023,
Trump on the other hand his highly polarising, Glalt, sempfiguy, trekkertony, maybe Sport and a few others still think the sun shines out of his orifice, most others seem to think the criminal actions against him are overdue.
Somewhat later an addition was made by Whistler,
Methinks Tam is a Trumpster.
What is the membership supposed to think of your list? Are we supposed to cancel them, ignore them or treat them with disdain? What exactly is the purpose of this list?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 15, 2023, 12:18 pm

The point LYM is not what is on the list, but the fact that it demonstrates what a highly polarising individual Trump is, people do not dwell in the middle ground.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 15, 2023, 2:31 pm

Whistler wrote:
August 15, 2023, 12:18 pm
The point LYM is not what is on the list, but the fact that it demonstrates what a highly polarising individual Trump is, people do not dwell in the middle ground.
Goes without saying but the middle ground has been largely vacated by both sides, everywhere. What do you think would trigger a change here? Trump losing his party's nomination (very unlikely IMHO), Trump getting his ass handed to him again (too close to call IMHO). Maybe the awful realities of a Trump win and 18-months of his loose canonry will galvanize the not insignificant conservative middle ground to get their act together? Give a man enough rope maybe? Crash and burn by the ensuing mid-terms?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 15, 2023, 6:59 pm

tamada wrote:
August 15, 2023, 2:31 pm
Whistler wrote:
Goes without saying but the middle ground has been largely vacated by both sides, everywhere. What do you think would trigger a change here? Trump losing his party's nomination (very unlikely IMHO), Trump getting his ass handed to him again (too close to call IMHO). Maybe the awful realities of a Trump win and 18-months of his loose canonry will galvanize the not insignificant conservative middle ground to get their act together? Give a man enough rope maybe? Crash and burn by the ensuing mid-terms?
I differ on 2024 being too close to call. Trump has alienated far too many people, on the premise that elections are lost, not won, I rate Trump's chances of being elected in 2024 as being close to zero. There is nothing on the horizon that would improve that position, plenty on the horizon that would make his chances even more unlikely.

Every betting agency and almost all polls have Biden as a clear favorite, the gap will almost certainly increase. Biden to win the electoral college by better than 100 votes (my guess is 120). The reason for the increase, more states will vote Democrat

If Biden does not keel over or descend into a blubbering mess, Trump is toast.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2023, 3:45 am

Whistler wrote:
August 15, 2023, 6:59 pm
tamada wrote:
August 15, 2023, 2:31 pm
Whistler wrote:
I differ on 2024 being too close to call. Trump has alienated far too many people, on the premise that elections are lost, not won, I rate Trump's chances of being elected in 2024 as being close to zero. There is nothing on the horizon that would improve that position, plenty on the horizon that would make his chances even more unlikely.

Every betting agency and almost all polls have Biden as a clear favorite, the gap will almost certainly increase. Biden to win the electoral college by better than 100 votes (my guess is 120). The reason for the increase, more states will vote Democrat

If Biden does not keel over or descend into a blubbering mess, Trump is toast.
If Trump gets demolished and Biden prevails, do you see any pathways back to the middle? Maybe the left will feel empowered to steer the Democrats further to the left? The right may feel that they didn't go far enough and claim that's why Trump failed? Are there any moderate voices on either side? I mean ones that can be heard above the overbearing left and right leaning rhetoric?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “U.S. Politics”