Free Speech etc

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Free Speech etc

Post by Potamoi » September 26, 2023, 9:54 am

Another interesting discussion with Greg Lukianoff on the Lex Fridman channel about Cancel Culture, Deplatforming, Censorship & Free Speech:

Rhetorical Fortresses, Whataboutism, Unwarranted Certainty... I love the terminology

OUTLINE:
0:00 - Introduction
2:11 - Cancel culture & freedom of speech
16:42 - Left-wing vs right-wing cancel culture
25:27 - Religion
28:07 - College rankings by freedom of speech
34:15 - Deplatforming
48:50 - Whataboutism
53:53 - Steelmanning
1:01:29 - How the left argues
1:12:09 - Diversity, equity, and inclusion
1:24:00 - Why colleges lean left
1:31:38 - How the right argues
1:36:13 - Hate speech
1:45:00 - Platforming
1:54:31 - Social media
2:15:38 - Depression
2:27:09 - Hope

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

deankham
udonmap.com

Re: Free Speech etc

Post by deankham » September 26, 2023, 1:36 pm

Sounds interesting, just checked and is available on spotify so will listen to that next, just started listening to Joe Rogan interview with Alex Berenson.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 26, 2023, 7:25 pm

Watching the Rogan and Alex Berenson conversation now. Thanks for the tip!
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 26, 2023, 8:28 pm

A good watch, Pots - although I admit I only got to about 40 minutes before I ran out of puff.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » September 26, 2023, 9:55 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 26, 2023, 8:28 pm
A good watch, Pots - although I admit I only got to about 40 minutes before I ran out of puff.
I hear that. I don't usually watch these long form ones but rather listen during my long walks or solo drives. Might take a couple of days or weeks to hear the entire podcast but it kind of gives one incentive to get out there and move one's ass ;-)

I do think the long form format allows for so much more when one is trying to understand a view, policy, stance or topic. So much more effective in communicating than the MSM sound byte method of selling a crapola script or narrative. Lex is one of the best at it IMHO.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “U.S. Politics”