Easy pop shots at OZ labor Govt.

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Easy pop shots at OZ labor Govt.

Post by noosard » January 16, 2024, 5:28 pm

Chances are you’re about to get a fairly decent tax cut from the middle of the year, putting cash back in your pocket – that is, unless a concerted campaign by economists to claw it back succeeds.

A long list of experts claim the third stage of major income tax reforms, designed and legislated almost six years ago and due to take effect from July 1, are expensive, unfair and counterintuitive.

But Prime Minister Anthony Albanese insists the benefits outweigh the enormous cost, which is almost as much as Australia spends on subsidised medications and more than is forked out on higher education.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 16, 2024, 8:17 pm

You are right, noos.

If Albanese, despite having stupidly locked himself into a position of supporting the 3rd stage tax cuts, doesn't wipe them, he will certainly lose a lot of points from me. Along with the damage it will do to the Oz economy in the next few years.

It's almost akin to Lil' Johnnies (worst/second/or third worst PM in Oz history, take your pick) middle class welfare, which is still impacting on the economy all these years later. 👎

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 17, 2024, 10:25 pm

Albanese made this commitment as part of his election policy, he thinks that making commitments and sticking to them is important for his credibility.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 18, 2024, 8:41 am

Shameless politics, terrible economics.

And I am an Albo fan.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 18, 2024, 9:54 am

Realpolitik.

Shorton foolishly promised changes to tax system in previous election and lost the unloosble election. Albo would not make the same mistake.

Politics is for a large part the art of the possible.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2024, 10:35 am

Art. That's nice. In Australia maybe, but In the UK, politics is for a large part pipedreams.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 20, 2024, 9:45 am

Politicians have had their holidays cut short as the Prime Minister has reportedly called an unusual meeting to address the cost of living crisis smashing Aussie families.

Labor MPs will be back in Canberra almost two weeks earlier than expected as concerns in the government grow over the crisis.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Anthony Albanese has called an urgent Labor caucus meeting for Wednesday to discuss energy subsidies and other proposals that will need to be carefully balanced to avoid sparking inflation but deliver financial relief to struggling households.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » February 19, 2024, 2:02 pm

Well this is just dandy. Two more boatloads of around 40 men(refos) from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh landed on the Nth West Aussie coast last week. Looks like the flood gates are open for illegals to enter Oz. I wonder if there are more that we dont know about.

It appears the albosleazy Govt. ripped about $600M,AUD from the last budget intended for the border force network. Along with this, the Fed.Govt. appears to not know the whereabouts of most of the 149 released illegal crims which were released into the community last year. So much for protecting Oz.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 19, 2024, 11:34 pm

So 2 boats arrived in 2024, under Labor. The last year of the coalition being in power, 33 boats arrived.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/asylu ... tatistics/

In fact money spent on border patrol increased, even anti Labor sky news reported on this and exposed Dutton as a liar

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 7e2fae31ae

The refugees released by the high court are all wearing tracking ankle devices they know where they are at all times down to the last few metres.

https://www.trtworld.com/discrimination ... n-15996788

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2024, 9:13 am

Sport, I marvel at your ability to get both feet in your mouth at the same time. :-s

LATER EDIT

You've probably read this by now, which may explain your silence.
Dutton’s claims that the government has ripped $600 million out of Sovereign Borders is a stretch, to say the least.

The former long-time departmental head Mike Pezzullo debunked the allegation in Senate estimates last year, telling the Liberals’ James Paterson that he was using differences in budget projections and revisions in the mid-year reviews.

Pezzullo said he could go back over the nine years of the previous Coalition government’s budgets and mid-year reviews and come up with a much bigger number than Labor’s mooted cuts.

The Albanese government’s projected spending is higher than the Coalition’s by $470 million over the next four years and $252 million higher this year, according to the budget papers.
https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/opinion/ ... r-security
Last edited by jackspratt on February 20, 2024, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » February 20, 2024, 9:42 am

149 detainees released.
72 convicted for assault and violent offending, kidnapping, armed robbery
37 for sexually based offending, including child sex offending
16 for domestic violence and stalking
13 for serious drug offending
Seven for murder and attempted murder;
Fewer than five for people smuggling, crimes of serious international concern; and
Fewer than five with “low level or no criminality”
The department revealed that as of 31 January none of the 149 individuals had been re-detained in immigration detention on the basis there is now a “real prospect” of their deportation being practical.
The home affairs department revealed on Monday that 24 of the people released as a result of the high court’s ruling have already been charged for visa condition breaches or state offences and 36 are not required to wear GPS tracking ankle bracelet.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2024, 12:04 pm

Fascinating stats, tony.

Of those you mention who have committed crimes of varying degrees of seriousness, how many were released before their court imposed sentences were completed?

Of Australians in the general population, convicted of crimes of varying degrees of seriousness, what happens to them after their court imposed sentences are completed?

Were those who were released by the High Court decision in immigration detention because they hadn't completed their sentences, or were they taken into detention after they had completed their sentences, and were now liable to deportation?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 20, 2024, 12:16 pm

Since these criminals are not australian citzens they should automatically be deported
whether they have finished their sentences or not

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2024, 12:21 pm

Deported to where, noos?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 20, 2024, 12:45 pm

noosard wrote:
February 20, 2024, 12:16 pm
Since these criminals are not australian citzens they should automatically be deported
whether they have finished their sentences or not
Not entirely in disagreement with noo.

Alians who have shown to be criminals who commit serious crimes; lets define that, maybe attracting a sentence of greater than one year, dont deserve protection of sympathy. If they get deported to their originating country and face justice, even rough justice, tough luck.

A genuine refugee is one who is escaping an oppresive regime, lets welcome them and protect them, but I would shed no tears for drug dealers, rapist, murderers etc. who have to face the consequences if deported.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2024, 1:28 pm

A few problems that jump out quickly. I am sure there are a few more.

1. Australia's signature on various international conventions

2. They are not all refugees, some are (or were) probably dual citizens, and others are stateless

3. What if their "originating" country just refuses to take them?

I am surprised you are a supporter of capital punishment, Whistles - and in some cases, effectively summary execution.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 20, 2024, 1:42 pm

jackspratt wrote:
February 20, 2024, 1:28 pm
A few problems that jump out quickly. I am sure there are a few more.

1. Australia's signature on various international conventions

2. They are not all refugees, some are (or were) probably dual citizens, and others hold no citizenship anywhere

3. What if their "originating" country just refuses to take them?

I am surprised you are a supporter of capital punishment, Whistles - and in some cases, effectively summary execution.
mistakenly pressed REPORT when I went to reply (sorry mods)

The UN resolution on refugees was framed over 70 years ago, it was designed to handle the refugee fallout in Europe post WWII. It is being used as a mockery by far too many in the 21st Century.

Regardless of my views on state executions, criminals who hide behind refugee resolutions to escape, is not what we signed up to in the 1950's. The serious criminals should not be afforded that sort of protection.

Withdraw from the outdated UN resolution, frame humane refugee laws that meet today's world needs, our current laws of indefinite detention are far from humane. However, if aliens are serious law breakers, we already have laws that can strip them of Australian citizenship and deport them, I have no problem with that.

If they dont want to be deported, easy, don't sell drugs, don't murder and don't rape. Serious crimes like this only, not petty crimes like larceny.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2024, 2:03 pm

That's all fine and dandy, but until, or if, those conventions are changed, Australia is legally bound to follow them as they exist now.

You seem to have overlooked my second and third points, which are as equally inconvenient to your view that they should just be chucked out of Australia.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 20, 2024, 2:45 pm

Jack, I addressed no 2. If they are dual citizens, commit a serious crime, Australian law already has the capacity of stripping them from holding Australian citizenship

Point 3 is a thorny one, I don't have a ready answer.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 20, 2024, 4:29 pm

Got it for number 3.

Lock them in a room, feed them my mother's cooking and play Bsrry Manilow records until they leave of their own Accord.

NZ will take them.

Return to “Australia”