What Is a World Champion?

General sports news and discussions.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

What Is a World Champion?

Post by jackspratt » August 29, 2023, 2:58 pm

About time someone called out this US-centric nonsense. Bravo to Noah Lyles, the 200 metre sprint World Champion. 👍
"You know the thing that hurts me the most, is I have to watch the NBA finals and they have 'world champion' on they head," he said.

"World champion of what? The United States? Don't get me wrong, I love the US — at times — but that ain't the world. We are the world.

"We have almost every country out here fighting, thriving, putting on their flag to show they are represented. There ain't no flags in the NBA. We gotta do more. We gotta be presented to the world."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-29/ ... /102788186

As the article goes on to say, it is not only the National Basketball Association, the nonsense also extends to Major League Baseball and the National Football League.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: What Is a World Champion?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 29, 2023, 3:08 pm

The Stanley Cup should also include club teams from other parts of the world. Whoever won the Super Bowl last year did not defeat the Grey Cup champions, the Toronto Argonauts, and so remain cheese, not world, champions.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 29, 2023, 3:15 pm

Yes, we all know the US culture/mentality places them above all else. Learn to just accept it and hope for more events like the Chicago NASCAR race where Shane van Gisbergan (Kiwi motor sport racer) having NEVER driven one of their vehicles wiped em out with a spectacular win in a very lowly rated race teams' car.

EDIT:-
Just to add. By winning a normal race season event Shane should have had automatic inclusion into the top 16 "Playoffs", but his name is not on the list anywhere??? He also finished in the top 10 in Indianapolis.

Is this US paranoia??

https://www.nascar.com/standings/nascar-cup-series/

Another Australian V8 racer, Brodie Kostecki, who only competed in one NASCAR race (Indianapolis) is listed @ 42.
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on August 29, 2023, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 29, 2023, 3:25 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 29, 2023, 3:08 pm
The Stanley Cup should also include club teams from other parts of the world. Whoever won the Super Bowl last year did not defeat the Grey Cup champions, the Toronto Argonauts, and so remain cheese, not world, champions.
The Stanley cup is a regional ice hockey competition for the NHL. The N stands for National. There are also other prominent regional competitions in Europe. So why should teams from other nations play in a purely North American regional competition.

There is already an International world cup and the winter Olympics to provide world champion titles, no need to make The Stanley cup the world's premier ice hockey championship.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 29, 2023, 3:52 pm

Lala
The American and Canadian football games are totally different with team sizes, rules football fields and their sizes etc

Different games

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 29, 2023, 4:03 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 29, 2023, 3:52 pm
Lala
The American and Canadian football games are totally different with team sizes, rules football fields and their sizes etc

Different games
Yes, but they have played in the past, Doodoo. I saw the Chicago Cardinals beat the Toronto Argonauts at the opening game for the C.N.E. Exhibition. Half the game was played with Canadian rules and half with U.S. rules. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats beat the Buffalo Bills 35-21 around 1961 or so.

https://ticats.ca/article/%EF%BB%BFtica ... %27s%20NFL.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 29, 2023, 4:10 pm

Whistler wrote:
August 29, 2023, 3:25 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 29, 2023, 3:08 pm
The Stanley cup is a regional ice hockey competition for the NHL. The N stands for National. There are also other prominent regional competitions in Europe. So why should teams from other nations play in a purely North American regional competition.

There is already an International world cup and the winter Olympics to provide world champion titles, no need to make The Stanley cup the world's premier ice hockey championship.
I should have mentioned that I was referring to club teams not countries. The last amateur/club team to win the IIHF title was the Trail Smoke Eaters in 1961.

Return to “World Sports”