Rental contracts

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
samster
udonmap.com

Rental contracts

Post by samster » March 18, 2024, 6:19 pm

Just wondered what other people have experienced in this regard....

My present rental contract, in the usual way, makes me as tenant responsible for loss or damage to the property. In previous houses this hasnt extended to what I would call general wear and tear and dilapidation.

The landlord made it clear to me today that if/when I leave the property she will use the bond to pay for anything that has happened during my tenancy including, because I've been here 3 years, general ageing.

Any thoughts?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Rental contracts

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 18, 2024, 6:57 pm

samster wrote:
March 18, 2024, 6:19 pm
Just wondered what other people have experienced in this regard....

My present rental contract, in the usual way, makes me as tenant responsible for loss or damage to the property. In previous houses this hasnt extended to what I would call general wear and tear and dilapidation.

The landlord made it clear to me today that if/when I leave the property she will use the bond to pay for anything that has happened during my tenancy including, because I've been here 3 years, general ageing.

Any thoughts?
Pretty standard on most rental contracts here Samster.

Regardless if the rental contract is for a private house dwelling or a business unit tiz my experience (others may have different) that once a tenant has paid a bond or deposit it is rarely returned in full as the landlord usually retains funds to cover any outstanding utility bills and damage that needs repairing also missing items off the day one inventory list of what was included.
Most contracts state the property must be left in a the same good condition as when a tenant begins renting even down to painting and basic cleaning, also contract include any fixed items like AC units must be left even if paid for by the tenant OR if removed walls made good.

Its my opinion the most Thai landlords include ageing and will retain a % of any bond to cover any issues for worn out or broken fittings etc..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » March 18, 2024, 8:46 pm

I only have had three rental contracts and all in Bangkok. In each case, the full bond was returned to me after the final walk through inspection was made by both of us. We always deep cleaned the place fully once moved out which may have lead the landlord/manager to give us full marks and a full refund.

The rental pricing in Bangkok is much different than here though. With these fractional rental prices here in Udon, I can see how the landlord may need the bond to paint and refit since they most certainly don't get anywhere near full price on the rental itself (based on the rule of thumb that rent should be about equal to monthly mortgage with interest and insurance).

Obviously, different markets have different pricing but much like other thin margin business upcountry, the margins in the real estate rental market here are also too thin IMHO.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 19, 2024, 7:44 am

Thanks for the comments. What gets me is that, when we moved in, we accepted that, for example, the 3 piece suite was ageing. A spring has now gone and she is suggesting that the bond will be used to replace the whole suite when we move out. Add to this some of the shower/toilet fittings are corroding (clearly general wear and tear ) and she is suggesting that we need to pay for repair.

Just to add, we have looked after the house very well which she acknowledges when she visits (no kids, pets etc). This is not a cheap property so, margins arent particularly fine for the landlord.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2024, 8:57 am

samster wrote:
March 19, 2024, 7:44 am
Thanks for the comments. What gets me is that, when we moved in, we accepted that, for example, the 3 piece suite was ageing. A spring has now gone and she is suggesting that the bond will be used to replace the whole suite when we move out. Add to this some of the shower/toilet fittings are corroding (clearly general wear and tear ) and she is suggesting that we need to pay for repair.

Just to add, we have looked after the house very well which she acknowledges when she visits (no kids, pets etc). This is not a cheap property so, margins arent particularly fine for the landlord.
Sounds like a very greedy landlord, but not knowing what's written in any contract and what was 'accepted' versus what was 'agreed' at the outset, there's nothing to stop this one keeping the lot. From my experience, the ones that appear to be minted are the worst. Must have Scottish genes.

I have read some horror stories on the AN forum of tenants, who have fulfilled the contract minium rental period but have given 30-day notice to vacate during the subsequent period, ie. less than 1-year. Their landlords, citing 'short notice' and laziness, are going to charge them rent for the period the property is empty, after they vacate, and up until they find another tenant. The common theme appears to be either poorly worded contracts, no contracts or verbal agreements. Despite there being nothing in any contract or agreement saying they can do this, there's nothing that says they can't do it either.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”