Wear Your Seatbelt

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Wear Your Seatbelt

Post by jackspratt » May 21, 2024, 9:16 pm

Every airline I have flown on the past many years has advised/warned passengers to buckle up during normal flight.
British man, 73, dead and 18 others hospitalised after London-Singapore flight hits severe turbulence
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-21/ ... /103876370

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Wear Your Seatbelt

Post by tamada » May 22, 2024, 6:13 am

This was inevitable. The onset of air turbulence can be rapid. In this instance, it appears to have happened over Myanmar during or just after breakfast service. I flew SQ from MAN to SIN last month and experienced the worst air turbulence in all my flying years for about two hours over Afghanistan and a second, less violent period over the Bay of Bengal (blank bits on live track).
Screenshot_20240417-081129.png
The seatbelt announcement came from the cockpit and was timely. However, since there's no way the cabin crew can physically verify all +200 passengers have their belts on quickly, I think there should be a backup announcement from the cabin crew leader and it should be a bit louder with urgency.

Personally, my seat belt is always on and when they make air turbulence announcements, I grab the loose tab and cinch it as tight as possible. I started that a few years ago after seeing video of passengers bouncing off the overhead lockers during air turbulence.

Aircraft manufacturers bow to the weight/cost saving demands of their customers when it comes to additional equipment but this shouldn't extend to safety items. If most cars on the road are fitted with seat belt warning systems, maybe it's time for the same on passenger aircraft?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 22, 2024, 6:42 am

SQ321
Second passenger on Singapore Airlines flight dies in hospital after Tuesday’s emergency landing incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKb_tcnhXA&t=12s
Attachments
SA 5.jpg
SA 4.jpeg
SA 3.jpeg
SA 2.jpeg
singapore airlines.jpeg

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 22, 2024, 9:29 am

I agree, the simp-0le fact people normally and after years of flying probably ignore the warnings and the request often to sit back down and put your seats up and wear your seat-belt is a problem I do not wish on any Flight attendant, there are always those who think they know best.
Sadly the drop was severe and quick not allowing for any recovery as one normally has for normal turbulence.

RIP to the deceased and hopefully the injured will fully recover.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 23, 2024, 1:38 am

Mak,
Have not seen/read anything about a second passenger dieing, where did you getvinfo from plz.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 23, 2024, 9:25 am

I read that yesterday, can't remember the source.
However, today I read this:
"Singapore Airline has issued 5 updates about the incident and are still stating 1 death.
No official source has said 2 deaths.
This seemed to have been a rumor that grew on social media last night, maybe caused by the chaos of a mass casualty event and miscommunications."

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2024, 11:28 am

Maybe this time of year, I flew BKK to Singapore May 7 and one of the roughest flights I have ever experienced, 15 minutes after take of we shook so bad, I lost grip of my novel and poor lady beside me was so terrified she started to pray.

WimH
udonmap.com

Post by WimH » May 23, 2024, 6:08 pm

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/tra ... urbulence/
One of the injured persons apparently died in the hospital...
Wim
Vliermaal, Belgium

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 23, 2024, 7:15 pm

Looked on the front page and there is no report of a second death. Not saying there isnt, but

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/category/news/

WimH
udonmap.com

Post by WimH » May 23, 2024, 7:49 pm

It was originally posted on Khaosod facebook , source was a Thai hospital. That post was later retracted/removed/corrected and an update/apology can still be found on facebook. So only one death... :
CORRECTION: Only one person died on Singapore Airlines flight SQ 321 from Heathrow, which made an emergency landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport Tues. A Thai hospital source was confused. The man was identified as a 73-year-old Briton.
#Thailand #Suvarnabhumi #SingaporeAirlines #SQ321
Wim
Vliermaal, Belgium

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 23, 2024, 7:51 pm

Thanks for the update

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 27, 2024, 6:29 am

Turbulence on Doha-Dublin flight leaves 12 injured

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/turbulence-do ... 09209.html

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 27, 2024, 9:19 am

I have never found it inconvenient to keep my seat belt on. You can't go for a stroll anyways so why not just keep it on?

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 29, 2024, 11:12 am

Just completed my travel back to LOS, non stop flight from LHR, 777 plane was sparsley populated, my section at the rear, everyone had a row of three seats to them selves and some rows unoccupied.
The 11hr or so flight was bumpy, many passengers were using the three seats as beds, I thought after all the publicity that people would be more careful about wearing a seat belt, Cabin staff not enforcing the seat belt instructions.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Return to “Travel & Transport”