driving license renewal

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: driving license renewal

Post by tamada » July 26, 2023, 1:02 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 26, 2023, 12:42 pm
tamada wrote:
July 26, 2023, 11:17 am
My Thai DL still has a couple of years to run but I am now on a different passport so the 'ID Number' on the DL is incorrect. I changed this once before, maybe 8 years ago at the LTO shop underneath AEK Udon. Does anyone know if simple ID changes can still be done there or maybe at the LTO in Central? Or is it another ball ache at the main Nong Soong LTO?

Ta
tam
Just a FWIW. when I asked a while ago I was advised to just change it at the next renewal date.

AFIK there is absolutely no problem with having a different number on your DL and Passport.

Also since my DL, now, doesn’t have my passport number but has my Thai ID card number (pink card) I will never have to change it again.

If you get a new passport it is the ideal time to also have a pink card as many institutions will use that.
I get your point but it's like you never need something until you need it. That's why I had to update my Thai DL's ID number 8 years ago, between passport renewals as some jobsworth declared that 'everything must match'.

Worth exploring if the local LTO offices will accept my pink card number instead. Like most Thai bureaucracies, it may be a case of some will and some won't. I recall maybe on a ThaiVisa thread some person being told 'cannot' by some LTO somewhere else.

FWIW, the passport number doesn't appear anywhere on pink card or yellow book. Maybe it's 'archived' on a paper application form somewhere?

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 26, 2023, 1:29 pm

For my last MDL renewal at Nong Han LTO, they were happy to use my yellow book ID number - this was prior to me getting a pink card.

So I now have the same ID for my MDL, yellow book and pink card - obviating the need to worry about future passport changes.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 26, 2023, 2:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 26, 2023, 1:29 pm
For my last MDL renewal at Nong Han LTO, they were happy to use my yellow book ID number - this was prior to me getting a pink card.

So I now have the same ID for my MDL, yellow book and pink card - obviating the need to worry about future passport changes.
I also got my DL at Nong Han, though I had both the yellow book and pink card. Nong Han seems foreigner friendly though a translator is useful as the level of English is not high
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 26, 2023, 3:08 pm

Noted, thanks js and stww.

I mean if Nong Han is happy to serve DM, they must be well into this equality and diversity lark.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 26, 2023, 3:59 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 26, 2023, 1:29 pm

according to the Main D: CENTRE KK ROAd, your licence shoudl show your Passport number which iof changes can be changed quickly and easily, As any other ID is based on your passport number being valid etc, tehn usin g other ID num,bers seem a tad silly, but heyho as long as you are happy. Ignore my comment

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 26, 2023, 7:18 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 26, 2023, 3:59 pm

according to the Main D: CENTRE KK ROAd, your licence shoudl show your Passport number which iof changes can be changed quickly and easily, As any other ID is based on your passport number being valid etc, tehn usin g other ID num,bers seem a tad silly, but heyho as long as you are happy. Ignore my comment
OK- mainly because it is incomprehensible.

thegrogmonster

Post by thegrogmonster » January 14, 2024, 2:55 am

I will be renewing my 5 year driver's licence when in Udon Thani in late March 2024. My wife says there is a DLT office about half way between Udon Thani and Nong Khai that we will be using as it is not far from the family home.

Does anyone know of this DLT office please?

thegrogmonster

Post by thegrogmonster » April 5, 2024, 12:43 pm

So arrived in Udon Thani on Monday 25th Marchh and got the new car and bike licences on Wednesday 27th March..

Monday: Medical certificates (200 baht, 100 baht each), 30 minutes

Tuesday: Residence certificates (1000 bbaht, 500 baht each) 30 minutes

Wednesday: Driver's licences (760 baht, car 505 baht and motor bike 255 baht) 90 minutes. This would have only taken 30 minutes as well but the licences referenced my old passport and not my new one. I didn't have my old passport or a photo of it so my mum had to go around to my house in Australia and take a photo of the old passport which they then accepted.

So what was needed for each licence: Medical certificate, Residence certificate, copy of my passport main page, visa page and the page with entry stamp. Also had to the online DLT training and show a copy of the QR code showing it was completed. Also needed to show them the QR code for the booking appointment time for today.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » April 8, 2024, 10:36 am

You forgot the tests in the office: Colour blind test, reaction test, distance test (tip: look from a bit higher so you can see the paper ruler under the moving bar. IMHO it is impossible to reliably pass that test without seeing this reference), and outer-vision test.

Regarding former posts: I was surprised that they did not accept my Yellow book anymore (2 April). Yes, in the big Transport office outside Udon. I had to go back in town and get a pink card. Then had to bring both (YB and pc), most probably as my old DLs were issued with YB (same logic as bringing signed photo copies of an old passport, if the DLs were issued with that).

It seems that the Yellow Book is on a decline and will be replaced fully with the pink card. I never heard or read it in such a way, but both offices gave that impression now.

Oh, the old tip for getting 6 years instead of 5 still works. Do not go before your birthday, but a few days after.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 9, 2024, 6:48 am

Techland wrote:
April 8, 2024, 10:36 am
You forgot the tests in the office: Colour blind test, reaction test, distance test (tip: look from a bit higher so you can see the paper ruler under the moving bar. IMHO it is impossible to reliably pass that test without seeing this reference), and outer-vision test.

Regarding former posts: I was surprised that they did not accept my Yellow book anymore (2 April). Yes, in the big Transport office outside Udon. I had to go back in town and get a pink card. Then had to bring both (YB and pc), most probably as my old DLs were issued with YB (same logic as bringing signed photo copies of an old passport, if the DLs were issued with that).
FWIW I have never seen the paper ruler you speak of and have passed the tests on 4 different occasions with no issues.
With the yellow book I always give both the pink ID card and yellow book except where the house address is not required.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » April 13, 2024, 2:33 pm

I currently have both car and motorcycle licences that expire next Feb. They are 5 year licences which I first got when I had a non-o visa (or whatever it was).

As I'm just an occasional visitor can I renew these driving licences with just a 30 day visa? If it's possible is it possible to.do it this far in advance (Feb 25 expiry)?

Thanks

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 13, 2024, 3:14 pm

deankham wrote:
April 13, 2024, 2:33 pm
I currently have both car and motorcycle licences that expire next Feb. They are 5 year licences which I first got when I had a non-o visa (or whatever it was).

As I'm just an occasional visitor can I renew these driving licences with just a 30 day visa? If it's possible is it possible to.do it this far in advance (Feb 25 expiry)?

Thanks
Since your visa status has changed, I think they'll switch you back to the 2-year DL's.

I recall that the initial 1-year, and now 2-year DL's had to be renewed BEFORE they expired, whereas the 5-year DL could only be renewed after it expired.

Or was it the other way round?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 14, 2024, 9:12 am

deankham wrote:
April 13, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thanks
Any license 2 year or 5 year can be renewed 3 months before expiration or up to 1 year after expiration with no tests, other than the standard ones.

You can renew up to a total of 5 years after expiration without doing the full driving tests.

You will be able to get a 2 year license as you are only a tourist visitor. The only alternative (it maybe more trouble than it’s worth) is to get a Non-O visa, however long you want to stay, if you do this you will qualify for a 5 year licence.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » April 14, 2024, 9:28 am

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » April 14, 2024, 11:46 am

thegrogmonster wrote:
April 5, 2024, 12:43 pm
So arrived in Udon Thani on Monday 25th Marchh and got the new car and bike licences on Wednesday 27th March..

Monday: Medical certificates (200 baht, 100 baht each), 30 minutes

Tuesday: Residence certificates (1000 bbaht, 500 baht each) 30 minutes

Wednesday: Driver's licences (760 baht, car 505 baht and motor bike 255 baht) 90 minutes. This would have only taken 30 minutes as well but the licences referenced my old passport and not my new one. I didn't have my old passport or a photo of it so my mum had to go around to my house in Australia and take a photo of the old passport which they then accepted.

So what was needed for each licence: Medical certificate, Residence certificate, copy of my passport main page, visa page and the page with entry stamp. Also had to the online DLT training and show a copy of the QR code showing it was completed. Also needed to show them the QR code for the booking appointment time for today.
Good and up-to-date info 👍

Return to “Travel & Transport”