Air Asia/Lion Air KL -> Thailand Carry on weight

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Air Asia/Lion Air KL -> Thailand Carry on weight

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 11, 2023, 5:29 am

Air Asia from DMK to SIN did not check our carryon bag weights.

My question is for anyone who has recently flown from Kaula Kumper, is were your carryon bags weighed?

This is due to the 5kg limit mentioned on the website. We will be a little over the usual 7gk limit but on domestic flights haven’t been checked recently.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Air Asia/Lion Air KL -> Thailand Carry on weight

Post by noosard » December 11, 2023, 6:52 am

Depends on the day or time whether someone checks
Have seen all sorts of oversize bags being allowed at times
and other times been super strict on size and weights
lucky of the draw

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 11, 2023, 8:58 am

In my experience, it's a bit like getting a Customs search, or copping VAT when you order something from overseas - as noos puts it "lucky (?) of the draw".

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 11, 2023, 10:57 am

Thanks for that.

So far I have never had a bag checked within Thailand but it’s probably best to have 1 check in for safety.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » December 11, 2023, 1:30 pm

I flew over to K.L. on AirAsia a while ago with slightly heavier than 7kg a carry-on only but was stopped when trying to enter the departure area. I explained that it was the same bag and contents that I entered with a few days prior from Bangkok. The agent said "this is not Bangkok" and told me to go back to the check-in desk and pay for checked luggage. Time was tight and I ended up being the last passenger to board. Lesson learned for sure. Bangkok is more lenient. I think you can book the checked bag in advance cheaper for the return to avoid the potential delay in access to gates.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 14, 2023, 5:24 pm

Just an update. No weight check on the DMK -> SIN flight

With everything purchased in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur we purchased a checkin bag and 20kg.

Every passenger had their carryon bag weight checked and even though we were both about 1~1.5kg over they did not even look a my backpack that was about another 3kg or SWMBO’s shoulder bag that was probably the same.

I was a little surprised that the KL security didn’t ask for power banks and electronics to be scanned separately, unlike DMK international were they were, along with shoes

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 28, 2023, 10:36 am

Which Terminal is Air Asia check in?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2023, 2:09 pm

mak wrote:
December 28, 2023, 10:36 am
Which Terminal is Air Asia check in?
If you are talking about KLIA then Air Asia is all of terminal 2, or if there is any other airline it is not obvious. Apparently it used to be possible to checkin at the KLIA Ekspres station in KL but that seems to have been suspended.

Return to “Travel & Transport”