Tyre Repair Kit

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Tyre Repair Kit

Post by jackspratt » December 15, 2023, 4:34 pm

Does anyone have experience with using one of these - used as a substitute for a spare tyre in some cars.

Similar to the one shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1H7XmO_j2k

I am tossing up whether to replace the one in my vehicle with a spare rim and tyre.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Tyre Repair Kit

Post by FrazeeDK » December 15, 2023, 6:52 pm

I've used my Toyota Yaris pressure tyre repair can twice. Works fine but is only temporary. Both times were screw/nail punctures. Downside is the nitwits at the Toyota dealership did NOT have any in stock either time and had to order it which took nearly a week to arrive at around a 1000 baht.

My Yaris does have the boot space for a spare. I've entertained looking for a spare tire, jack and hand tools perhaps at a local salvage yard where they might be relatively cheap. Buying them through Toyota would probably be expensive.
Dave

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 15, 2023, 7:23 pm

Repair kit is handy for minor stuff like a nail in the tread. Of no value if damage is more extensive, damage to wall of tyre as an example.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » December 15, 2023, 8:15 pm

Whistler wrote:
December 15, 2023, 7:23 pm
Repair kit is handy for minor stuff like a nail in the tread. Of no value if damage is more extensive, damage to wall of tyre as an example.
Plus some don't last and because of type sealer can't take off tire and do normal repairs so have to replace tire.
Added comment, do not recommend getting a tire from a used area, I call junkyard, as a good chance rubber is old and may cause a blowout. A used rim though is fine.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 16, 2023, 7:02 am

Tyres are are a VERY important part of any vehicle, trusting MAIN Manufacturer agent to produce efficient and intelligent tyre repair is a pointless exercise
Her we are lucky, we have tyre plus good enough for most tyre requirements and also tracking and front wheel alignment .
For tyre wall damage ) SLIGHT _ I USE THE man just dwon from BIG C a professional TYRE fitter with heaps of experience`, had a nail in the wall, Tyre Plus refused to repair, but this Man , looked at it, repaired the damage and the tyre is like new. HIS comments about Tyre agencies are not printable . Never used tyre repair kits deem them absolutely useless, always have a good spare if need two spares then thats just tough luck in my book.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 16, 2023, 8:21 am

The guys that work in tire repair shops don't like these emergency repair kits that spread gunk all over the inner walls either. An ex- gf in the US used these aerosol 'Fix-a-Flat' cans three times on the same tire but when she finally took it to a repair shop and they popped it off the rim, they refused to repair it as it wasn't worth their time and effort to remove the sealant.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 16, 2023, 8:27 am

jackspratt wrote:
December 15, 2023, 4:34 pm
Does anyone have experience with using one of these - used as a substitute for a spare tyre in some cars.

Similar to the one shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1H7XmO_j2k

I am tossing up whether to replace the one in my vehicle with a spare rim and tyre.
I would definitely go with getting a full-size spare.

The tire repair guy along from Big C that KP mentions has a selection of used-but-good tires already mounted on rims. Just check the sidewalls, including the manufacturing date stamp, first. A few years back, I bought a set of four, slightly-used Bridgestone Duellers already mounted on stock rims for 8000 baht.

Probably will less cost than the 1000 baht Toyota "factory option".
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 17, 2023, 7:04 pm

In 10 years have had 3 nail/screw punctures. All fixed quickly at various tyre shops for peanuts. Those tyre repair kits are a last resort, never used them.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 17, 2023, 8:29 pm

rick wrote:
December 17, 2023, 7:04 pm
In 10 years have had 3 nail/screw punctures. All fixed quickly at various tyre shops for peanuts. Those tyre repair kits are a last resort, never used them.
Not if you are on Hwy 2, 30 or 50km from the nearest town, and the repair kit is what you have in place of a spare tyre.

Return to “Travel & Transport”