Passport checks for domestic flights

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Whistler
udonmap.com

Passport checks for domestic flights

Post by Whistler » January 18, 2024, 1:16 pm

New regulations that started this week.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1317368-thai ... c-flights/

I am not sure if this is much of a change, I typically show pink card or drivers license when flying within Thailand and this article seems to say this is ok. However, if some check in staff insist on seeing passport it is probably wise to have one handy just in case.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Passport checks for domestic flights

Post by tamada » January 18, 2024, 2:04 pm

From the linked article: "A foreign passenger must hold the original passport with the name matching that on the boarding pass in order to board a domestic flight, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand said. Those who lost their passports can board with a temporary passport, or with a non-Thai ID card or a driver's license issued by the Thai government. .."

From the above, it would appear the pink ID card won't be accepted probably because unlike the Thai ID card, your name is in Thai script ONLY and thus won't ever match ticket/boarding pass. However, looking at the illustration that accompanied the linked article, it indicates that a "non-Thai ID card" is what is properly identified as an alien ID card! So, no change for us resident squatters (with pink ID cards) then.

I only used the pink card a couple of times on domestic when it was new, and I thought it looked cool (last century). I just use the passport these days.

Good to know.

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Passport checks for domestic flights

Post by jackspratt » January 18, 2024, 8:32 pm

The obvious answer, if you don't wish to travel with your passport, seems to be to use your MDL - assuming you have one.

For long term residents, I can't really see how anything has changed. I have always needed to show ID when boarding a Thai domestic flight.

However, the "upside" of this thread was once again dipping my toes into the execrable Thai Visa/Asean Now.

It was just a seething pit of expat bigotry, ignorance and conspiracy.

The notable exception being our very own Bandung_Dero.👍

Return to “Travel & Transport”