Friendship bridge

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
JamesMichael

Friendship bridge

Post by JamesMichael » February 2, 2024, 5:01 pm

Anyone taken the train across the bridge from Nong Khai ? I was thinking it would be easier to park at the station than find somewhere by the bridge. My main question is are there any shops selling cheap booze and fags like there are when you take the bus over the bridge?

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Re: Friendship bridge

Post by lassebasse » February 3, 2024, 10:08 am

I have taken this train from the Lao side to Nong Khai and on the Lao side there is nothing! This station is outside Vientianne and just sitting there by itself.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 3, 2024, 10:57 am

the new station on the north side of Vientiane is now open. The Thai and Lao are working out how they will deal wiih immigration procedures for the short 14km ride from Nong Khai station to Khmasavath station. The talk is Lao immigration may do all the process on the Thai side for trains to Vientiane and vice versa on the Lao side.. Until they work it out I don't see the "new" very short train route starting service.. The new service as of now will not be a through train service for the Bangkok to Nong Khai run. People will have to disembark that train at Nong Khai station and reboard the train to Vientiane.
Dave

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » February 5, 2024, 11:02 pm

JamesMichael wrote:
February 2, 2024, 5:01 pm
Anyone taken the train across the bridge from Nong Khai ? I was thinking it would be easier to park at the station than find somewhere by the bridge. My main question is are there any shops selling cheap booze and fags like there are when you take the bus over the bridge?
Admittedly it was several years ago since I last crossed but I've never had a problem parking within 5 minutes walk of immigration on the Thai side of the bridge. Don't think I've ever had to pay for parking either.

Perhaps some members who've used it recently can confirm what parking is like now-a-days

Return to “Travel & Transport”