New Law for Domestic Air Travel in Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » June 15, 2016, 8:50 am

I just returned from a trip to Chang Mai (Udon to Don Muang, Don Muang to Chang Mai and back using Lion Air and Air Asia. On this trip and in the past, I have used my Thai licenses for ID. However, I was informed at both Don Muang and Chang mai Airports, that my next trip and all future trips using airlines, a foreigner must present their passport as this is the only ID that will be accepted. I asked about this at check-in in Chang Mai, and was told, indeed it is a new law enacted recently and a passport is the only acceptable ID for foreigners who use airlines for domestic travel.

I used my Thai licenses as ID for hotel check-in and did not have a problem but, perhaps, this will change too. I always carry my passport when traveling so no problem, but I was unaware of this ID requirement Anyone, heard of this change and is it documented somewhere, perhaps I will look at the Immigration web-site.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » June 15, 2016, 8:55 am

Could be so they can check that the foreigner actually has a passport !! Have met a couple of farang over the years who have simply overstayed, not bothered with visas, and eventually their passports have expired. Just part of the tightening up of things to try to identify and remove undesirables I guess.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 15, 2016, 9:34 am

A friend of ours who works for Air Asia in Udon......sells tickets and checks in Pax, says thai drivers license is still accepted for checkin in Udon.......as of this morning, anyway

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 15, 2016, 10:02 am

A bit off-topic... I believe security checks are being tighten a lot .. Few weeks ago a Thai friend went to mail an airmail letter ( envelope with the blue and red stripes) and she was asked for her Thai Id card. The letter had me ( a farang ) as sender and a US address as recipient However two weeks later a similar situation except that i went myself to the post office and no ID required.. Go figure..

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 15, 2016, 10:45 am

LoneTraveler wrote: by LoneTraveler » June 15, 2016, 8:50 am

I just returned from a trip to Chang Mai (Udon to Don Muang, Don Muang to Chang Mai and back using Lion Air and Air Asia. On this trip and in the past, I have used my Thai licenses for ID. However, I was informed at both Don Muang and Chang mai Airports, that my next trip and all future trips using airlines, a foreigner must present their passport as this is the only ID that will be accepted. I asked about this at check-in in Chang Mai, and was told, indeed it is a new law enacted recently and a passport is the only acceptable ID for foreigners who use airlines for domestic travel.

I used my Thai licenses as ID for hotel check-in and did not have a problem but, perhaps, this will change too. I always carry my passport when traveling so no problem, but I was unaware of this ID requirement Anyone, heard of this change and is it documented somewhere, perhaps I will look at the Immigration web-site.

Thanks for that, I have always used my Thai license, will pack my passport next time, cheers.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » June 15, 2016, 11:12 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I've come to rely on only using my Driver's license for flying, with my passport packed away. Have to fly to Bangkok next week so I'll report on my experience.
The best gadget is the human brain.

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » June 15, 2016, 1:08 pm

This will be a problem when I go for a new passport too Bangkok.
Normal they make my passport invalid and the embassy send the new passport too my home.
Travelling back is then on my drivers licence.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 16, 2016, 2:00 pm

This might apply in CM as its also the embarkation for many passengers exiting Thailand and in transit via BKK Etc. Wanting passport to confirm onward International Flight perhaps.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » June 17, 2016, 10:58 am

wazza wrote:This might apply in CM as its also the embarkation for many passengers exiting Thailand and in transit via BKK Etc. Wanting passport to confirm onward International Flight perhaps.
I was told at Don Muang and Chang Mai this new law is for any domestic flight in Thailand. I was told this when checking-in for my flight. I specially asked, is this a new law because I have used my Thai licenses in the past as ID, I was told yes, and the next time I fly domestic to anywhere, I am to present my passport. The Thai person at the check-in counter in both Don Muang and Chang Mai spoke very good English, so there was no misinterpretation of the conversation. I was given a pass on the ID requirement because I had booked my flight months in advance. I am trying to find documentation concerning this new law because I do not like people handling my passport.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » June 17, 2016, 12:07 pm

Can I respectfully ask, 'Why wouldn't you carry your passport with you when touring around Thailand or another foreign country', they don't weigh that much....do they ?. Around your city or village is understandable, but when touring is a different matter.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 17, 2016, 12:47 pm

Sport wrote:Can I respectfully ask, 'Why wouldn't you carry your passport with you when touring around Thailand or another foreign country', they don't weigh that much....do they ?. Around your city or village is understandable, but when touring is a different matter.
I was under the impression that you had to show your passport to the hotel (or local police station/immigration Office) if you were away from your home Province for more than a day :-k Has this been changed?

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » June 17, 2016, 1:05 pm

There are lot of rules that are not enforced. They / IMM expect travelers to use hotels, checking in with passports, and hotels notifying of your stay, and on the form, asks you where you came from and are going to, simply to track any and all movements of non Thais.............in theory.

I never check in, or present ID, unless specifically asked, as makes things faster, and hotels don't care, as less work for them. I'm simply a guest in the room of the registered guest. If ever questioned, extremely doubtful, I simply just arrived from home. Nowhere in Thailand is more than a day's drive away.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » June 17, 2016, 1:16 pm

Arrival card being another prime example, as how many people actually fill out the 'address in Thailand' honestly, whether living here or not. Just put in a hotel off the top of their head, without having a reservation.

Along with not driving a car w/red tags on it, after dark, or out of province without the log book, and actually filled out. :roll:

ezrider
udonmap.com

Post by ezrider » June 17, 2016, 3:35 pm

had passport with me but used my Thai DL to check in for domestic flights in UTH, BKK, CNX this week with no problem

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 17, 2016, 10:13 pm

I Came through Suvarnabhumi yesterday after arriving from LHR, Connected to UTH Flight on Thai Smile Had to show passport,Thai DL NOT Accepted,Then they had the Bloody Cheek to charge me 880 Baht EXCESS Baggage ( That NEVER Happened ) when TG Operated the route.....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 17, 2016, 10:35 pm

Made my night finding out you are back 747 .. hope you are in the mood for some prolific posting on UM as you have been missed by us all ,...... your accurate knowledgable contributions are always welcome ....

So what contraband did you bring back that meant excess baggage ... wouldnt it be easier just to get your pet rabbit a ticket ??

Missed you

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 17, 2016, 11:05 pm

Jonathon..............Don't you know that SARCASM is the Lowest form of Wit......

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 18, 2016, 5:54 am

Just don't mention the Wall ... I did but I think I got away with it ... :D Hello Alan ....

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 18, 2016, 7:12 am

747man wrote:I Came through Suvarnabhumi yesterday after arriving from LHR, Connected to UTH Flight on Thai Smile Had to show passport,Thai DL NOT Accepted,Then they had the Bloody Cheek to charge me 880 Baht EXCESS Baggage ( That NEVER Happened ) when TG Operated the route.....

Got caught out a couple years back with that
Them saying oh no we are not Thai air, we are different airline all together
What crap still book through Thai air website

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 18, 2016, 7:28 am

I think it depends how much you are over.

The last time I returned from the UK I knew I had 22 kilos of luggage.
When I bought my ticket at the Thai Smile desk I told the girl that I was 2 kgs over & could I buy excess baggage (as I know it is cheaper to do before hand than at booking in). She told me not to bother for 2kgs as the check in staff wouldn't.
I had not traveled on the International bit on Thai.
I encountered no issues on booking in..

Return to “Travel & Transport”