Waiyapat

General Udon Thani topics only!
hackspettÄ

Waiyapat

Post by hackspettÄ » February 27, 2024, 12:22 am

Could anybody please tell me whether „Waiyapat“ is a rather common name in Udon Thani. I am looking for a person of that name whose mail/postal address I have lost due to unfortunate circumstances.

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Waiyapat

Post by rick » March 2, 2024, 1:15 pm

Unlikely anyone can help you. Is that a surname or a forename, or a nickname? Also, English transliteration spelling in Thailand is a moveable feast. Just far too little information. Also, remember over 250,000 people in Udon Thani city, let alone the province.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 2, 2024, 1:33 pm

Apologies but to make matters worse , the Population of Udonthani City is 597,000, in 2024
https://worldpopulationreview.com/world ... population

Good luck in your search

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 9, 2024, 3:37 am

The name of the lady I’m looking for is Saisawai Waiyapat.
In 1963 (!) I began corresponding with her. In these old days we used to write letters on paper, there was no internet, email, facebook, etc.
The only time I personally met her was in 1967 when she spent a year as an exchange student in the USA. I was studying/working in Philadelphia at the time, S. living with an American host family near New York City. In 1968 we both returned to our native countries. S. went to Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, I continued my studies at the Tech U in Berlin, Germany. S. lived in the YWCA in Bangkok, I lived in a student dorm in Berlin. We both concluded our studies at about the same time in the fall of 1974. In her last letter S. told me she was about to move back to her parent's home in Udorn, I went back to my parent’s for a while and later moved to Bremen. Our correspondence continued until the fall of 1974.The following letters which I sent to her YWCA address in Bangkok and (presumably) hers sent to my Berlin address unfortunately were never forwarded. Both of us did not exchange the addresses of our respective parents.
For a long, long time I kept looking for her in Udorn, i.e. the place just North of Bangkok. It was only weeks ago that quite accidentally I found out that S.’s parents did not live in Udorn but in Udon Thani in Northern Thailand. The Thai embassy in Germany and other institutions in Thailand could not help me find out the address of Saisawai in Udon Thani. So far I did not succeed to locate something like a telephone directory (White Pages) of Udon Thani where I could possibly locate her present whereabouts.
I consider the chances to find Saisawai to be very low, especially in case her surname may have changed after a possible marriage. Still, as long I‘m alive and kicking I would like to use every possible means to renew a long deep friendship.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 9, 2024, 3:33 pm

Is this old newspaper article from 1970 of any assistance in following up leads?

https://news.hrvh.org/veridian/?a=d&d=s ... xIN-------

The middle page - if you scroll in, you can see a photo and story relating to Saisawai "Pam" Waiyapat.

Also, if you google Pam Waiyapat, there are also a number of leads.

Good luck.

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 9, 2024, 4:19 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was the article in the Scarsdale Inquirer of 1970 that lead me quite recently to the trail to Udon Thani and her nickname Pam. Am I wrong assuming there must somehow be a chance to dig up something like a telephone directory of Udon Thani?

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 10, 2024, 10:12 pm

I don’t know if it would constitute a violation of the right to privacy but would anybody dare to provide me with a telephone number of ONE English speaking person in the city of Udon Thani with the surname ”Waiyapat”?

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 11, 2024, 7:32 am

facebook thailand
Pam waiyapat and pampam waiyapat
doesnt look old enough for the 1960s, but could be daughter

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 11, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thanks for responding.
Saisawai "Pam" Waiyapat would be maybe 75 years old. She has three brothers, one of them named Pat, and one sister. Pam graduated from a university in Bangkok in 1974.

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 13, 2024, 3:08 pm

I’d gladly pay $200 to the person who could help me find Mrs. Saisawai ”Pam” Waiyapat’s postal/mail address

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 13, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thailand doesn't do telephone books, as far as I am aware.

Any research that we (on UM) can do will be via the internet, and you have the same access.

There have been a number of leads suggested already, which include the name Waiyapat, that you should be following up via google, if you have not done so already.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 17, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thais are pretty big on alumnae associations. I googled Chulalongkorn Alumnae association and got a number of hits for the various disciplines at the University.. I would suggest contacting them with her name and approximate graduation date. Did you know her major in Uni??? in looking through the newspaper reference the people make several references to Pam attending Thomasat Univesity which is obviously Thammasat University. You could check there too for an alumnae assocation..
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 17, 2024, 1:49 pm

or since the newspaper article reference Pam as having attended schooling in the States through AFS, then contact the AFS alunae site here: https://afs.org/alumni/#afs-nav-afsers-host-families
Dave

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 17, 2024, 2:13 pm

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help!
Rolf

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 18, 2024, 7:20 pm

All Thais have an ID Card, and most have a house book, or are accounted for in some way..
Its cracking into that ID information that is the key..Thai police dont like to hand out info for such a case..

However, facebook can be an easier route..I have found lost friends from 30yrs ago, and lost families from 40yrs ago via facebook..let your fingers do the walking

hackspettÄ

Post by hackspettÄ » March 29, 2024, 9:18 pm

I found out that Saisawai Waiyapat’s home address at the time we had been communicating by postal mail until the mid ‘70s was ‘78 Nong Prajak, Udon Thani’. Would anybody know or could possibly find out if this address is still existing?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 30, 2024, 12:23 pm

don't see any Nong Prajak Road in Udon Thani.. Back 40-50 years ago addressing was simple, less people Name, street, city

here's a made up example of addressing today..

Name Somchai whatever
House number/Street 141/3 Thanon Tahan
Moo Ban #X
Tambon Makkhaeng
Amphoe Muang Udon
City Udon Thani postal code 41000
Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 30, 2024, 2:44 pm

Nong Prajak Rd seems a significant clue, but perhaps over time, a name change , or a name the locals used without it actually being the official one.
I'm not certain how local administration works in town, but more rurally, areas/villages are led by the Head Man, who would certainly be aware of house numbers and location.
A shot in the dark, but it occurs to me that Udon's main post office is a stone's throw from Nong Prajak. Guessing that number 78 would have remained in use, an approach to someone senior and long-serving, might produce a list/map of any accommodation within the immediate vicinity of the lake using this number.
Someone fluent in Thai and the promise of a box of beer for Songkran might help!

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » March 30, 2024, 5:53 pm

no Nong Prajak Rd road but there is a Prajak Rd runs from the train station to Tunseemooung.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 31, 2024, 8:14 am

there is a Soi Prajac out by the Naam Restaurant, Big C way
and there is a 76/ 77 Prajac

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”