Goat meat.

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
udonfox
udonmap.com

Goat meat.

Post by udonfox » July 10, 2023, 8:00 pm

Hi, where can I buy goat meat meat in Udon ? Not just chunks of goat meat but half a goat. So tasty bbq'd and a great curry. Cheers!

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Goat meat.

Post by 747man » July 10, 2023, 8:25 pm

udonfox wrote:
July 10, 2023, 8:00 pm
Hi, where can I buy goat meat meat in Udon ? Not just chunks of goat meat but half a goat. So tasty bbq'd and a great curry. Cheers!
If it's Any Help to you there is a Goat Farm in Nong Khai & I Believe that the Farmer will sell to you !! Near the OLD Railway Station.....

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 10, 2023, 11:16 pm

Try a halal butcher. I think there is one near the mosque.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 11, 2023, 12:44 am

The one opposite the mosque closed ages ago
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 11, 2023, 10:26 am

I learned about goat meat years ago during a trip to Mexico. Driving along the roads, I would see BBQ fires with a carcass turning over the coals.They looked suspiciously like dogs. I asked our driver what they were and he told me they were kid goats and were delicious. We stopped at one and tried it out. It was indeed delicious. The proprietor spoke some English and told us that ONLY kid goats were edible. The adult goats had stringy meat and smelled bad. I never had the opportunity to test that opinion but can tell you that the kid goat meat was quite delicious.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 11, 2023, 10:33 am

glalt wrote:
July 11, 2023, 10:26 am
I learned about goat meat years ago during a trip to Mexico. Driving along the roads, I would see BBQ fires with a carcass turning over the coals.They looked suspiciously like dogs. I asked our driver what they were and he told me they were kid goats and were delicious. We stopped at one and tried it out. It was indeed delicious. The proprietor spoke some English and told us that ONLY kid goats were edible. The adult goats had stringy meat and smelled bad. I never had the opportunity to test that opinion but can tell you that the kid goat meat was quite delicious.
Mature goats can be stringy if they are not fed well, bad smelling carcasses are typically caused by poor slaughtering techniques, properly slaughtered, not an issue. There are several types of goats, some breeds are better suited to milk production, others are bred for meat. The Thai government has been conducting research on goat and African black sheep as these animals adapt well to Isan's tough climate. The research centre is in Kalasin.

Raising these animals in Isan is not easy, they easily fall prey to various diseases.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 11, 2023, 11:59 am

Years ago in Ohio farm country, someone gave my wife a pair of milk goats. They were pure white and supposedly a mixed breed but were called Nubian goats. Of course I got the job of milking them. I had to learn to milk them. The are not like cows because they have no valve in their teats. You have to pinch off the top and then squeeze. Our house had a three step front porch. When I got home after work the goats would be waiting for me on top of the steps. They were very tame and were easy to milk.

The kids drank the milk and seemed to like it until some other kids made fun of them because goat milk stinks. I then bought an ice cream maker and they had no trouble eating goat milk ice cream. All the kids liked the ice cream. The two oats gave a LOT of milk and we were giving away some of the milk and especially the ice cream.

Years before that someone gave my wife a baby Billy goat. She would take him for rides in the car. As he got older you had to make sure that he was out and about before opening the car door. He would knock you down getting in the car. I had three dogs, two beagles and a Brittany spaniel. That goat made the dogs miserable. He loved butting them and chasing them around. He did have curved horns. My one brother in law had a new Chevy, He visited one day and when he went to get in his car, the goat was standing in the middle of his car roof. He threw a fit and said he would never visit again unless we got rid of the goat. One day Billy came up missing. Just up the road was a house used to house Mexican migrant workers. I knew right away what had happened. The Mexicans saw him standing next to the road, stopped and opened the car door. Billy would have jumped right in and I think Billy got cooked on the BBQ. I never told my wife.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 11, 2023, 5:08 pm

I recall an old Bedouin dropping by our work truck in the eastern desert in Saudi and offering us some fresh goat milk. My boss, a grouchy Yorkshireman (is there any other?) put it in his instant coffee and was impressed so, in his pidgin arabie, told the old geezer to come by each morning while we were there with fresh milk. He came back an hour later with a big pail of it. My boss didn't like the smell of it inside the truck and told me to put it outside in the shade where it quickly went off in the +40° heat. Absolutely awful with Nescafé but a decent yogurt once you picked the straw and dead flies out of it.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Pikolim
udonmap.com

Post by Pikolim » September 25, 2023, 11:10 pm

udonfox wrote:
July 10, 2023, 8:00 pm
I got one from the Goat Farm and it was pretty tasty, but not sure if you can find it anywhere else.

fsz

Post by fsz » September 27, 2023, 6:12 pm

There is a professional goat farm about 20 km north of Udon in the nowhere. Direction Nong Khai and then turn left on the 2021 to Ban Phue. About 7 km there is a petrol station on the right side, go straight, about 1 km there is an intersection where you can go right to Wat Don Mak Phang, go straight on, on the right side of the road you see a food/beverage shop. The next small farm road on the left side and then about 5 km in the bushes on the left side. Never bought something but my wife knows they are selling.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”