Future energy sources?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Future energy sources?

Post by Whistler » March 29, 2024, 9:28 am

glalt wrote:
March 29, 2024, 9:07 am
Until they can extract hydrogen from air economically, major hydrogen use is out of reach. Extracting hydrogen with electricity is somewhat promising but not yet unless the electricity is generated from renewables such as wind and solar. Then there is still the problem of how to transport and store it. Generating electricity from the earths tides is quite interesting but that is too expensive. Hopefully the day will come with small extraction units for hydrogen use locally.
From the air? There is a lot of air, but the percentage of hydrogen is .000055%.

I would suggest the most promising technology is electrolysis using renewable to create the electricity needed to produce and store a portable amount of hydrogen that can be reused for multiple energy uses like powering transportation or firing power plants when base load energy is needed.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 29, 2024, 11:56 am

Glat

"major hydrogen use" is already in play worldwide Many processes utilize hydrogen. Ammonia, Desulphurization of various oil processes.
Hydrogen is used to remove the major contaminants, such as sulfur, from petroleum products. The major reactions that require hydrogen are hydrodesulfurization, hydrocracking, and hydrodealkylation. Liquid hydrogen mixed with liquid oxygen is used in liquid propellant rockets as cryogenic fuel.
https://techiescientist.com/uses-of-hydrogen/

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 29, 2024, 3:55 pm

I should have said water rather than air. My mistake.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 29, 2024, 3:57 pm

glalt wrote:
March 29, 2024, 3:55 pm
I should have said water rather than air. My mistake.
Ah haa. Then I am 100% with you.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 31, 2024, 7:23 pm

Saw a short documentary/news item on sodium-ion batteries. Wasn't aware of them, only sodium/sulphur which need very high temperatures. Sodium-ion batteries work similar to Lithium-ion, and are just entering commercial production. Safer, cheaper, but less energy dense - unlikely to be competitive for cars but could be the go to battery for non-transport options in the future. Also potentially very long lasting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-ion_battery

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 1, 2024, 7:47 pm

There may be a place for hydrogen after all. It certainly looks like railways will be able to use it as an energy source.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ains-cpkc/
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 1, 2024, 9:12 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 1, 2024, 7:47 pm
There may be a place for hydrogen after all. It certainly looks like railways will be able to use it as an energy source.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ains-cpkc/
What's it saying about the source of hydrogen? I've had 3 Leo's and can't be faffed to open an incognito thingamabob.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 5, 2024, 4:27 pm

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Pikolim
udonmap.com

Post by Pikolim » April 5, 2024, 6:31 pm

Hydrogen's been getting a ton of attention lately, but when you dig into it, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Solar and wind, though? They're starting to make more sense every day. Clean, efficient, and they seem to be on the rise.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 6, 2024, 7:18 am

Wonder whats happening with the new hydrogen plant in Adelaide, South Australia. Being built by the SA Govt, Japan and a couple of others, its broken down and will take millions to fix.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 6, 2024, 7:43 am

???
The contracts to build have just been signed so how can it be broken already Sport???

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 6, 2024, 10:08 am

So much from those on here pushing nucleur power plants in Australia.

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/news/pol ... 0f67a6dc99

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 6, 2024, 11:35 am

Talking about the small hydro demonstrator system at Bolivar in SA with the Marubeni Corp and maybe with the blessing of the CSIRO. Breakdown after breakdowns.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 6, 2024, 12:02 pm

Sport wrote:
April 6, 2024, 11:35 am
Talking about the small hydro demonstrator system at Bolivar in SA with the Marubeni Corp and maybe with the blessing of the CSIRO. Breakdown after breakdowns.
Your source? I did a google lookup and not one single mention of breakdowns, considering it is a pilot that has only been running for a few weeks, this does not sound one bit credible.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 6, 2024, 1:23 pm

Whistle
He aint got any info
He seems to be posting misinformation so we have to try and find

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 6, 2024, 2:52 pm

Whistler wrote:
April 6, 2024, 12:02 pm
Sport wrote:
April 6, 2024, 11:35 am
Your source? I did a google lookup and not one single mention of breakdowns, considering it is a pilot that has only been running for a few weeks, this does not sound one bit credible.
I have a mate who works at the system and he told me about it. Its a bit of hush hush thing and embarassing for the builders.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 6, 2024, 4:09 pm

There we go Whistler a hush hush thing!!
What a load
Next

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 6, 2024, 4:23 pm

Sport,

Electrolysis is very, very simple. I built a small unit in High School as a science project. Not an industrial plant of course but please?

This is a pilot project, only a few weeks into the project and under enormous scrutiny, unless you can come up with a credible source, your comments are without any basis.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 6, 2024, 4:47 pm

My mate is the chief engineer who signs off the project as safe and can be used. He has not signed off on it until a few things are rectified. It has been longer than just a few weeks, more like around 8 months or longer. Sorry Whistles and doodoo, you know nothing about this project and it could be going to court.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 6, 2024, 5:05 pm

Well Sporty I have worked on loads of projects and one person holding it up better know his sh-t. The other thing is that I have yet to see ONE PESON hold up a multi million dollar project. Lastly after over 40 years of projects I have never seen one that was on time. The worst was over 12 years behind schedule

Return to “Open Forum”