Future energy sources?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Future energy sources?

Post by tamada » March 28, 2024, 12:41 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 28, 2024, 11:49 am
Whistle

Canada produces 548 million tonnes of CO2 every year. It requires 31-46 trees to compensate for 1 tonne of CO2. Canada requires 25,208,000,000 (taking the higher number of 46) trees to offset our CO2. The Canadian Boreal Forest has an estimated 500-600 BILLION trees! That means we have enough trees to compensate for our CO2 emissions 19.83X over!

CO2 Production

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 6477830804
Canada 1.5%

Oil sands producers have planted more than five million trees in a joint program designed to reclaim the boreal forest faster after exploration drilling. PLUS Government of Canada Confirms 2 Billion Trees Program is Exceeding Planting Goals, Announces New Agreements to Plant 56 Million Additional Trees

70 million
For instance, the Australian forestry industry replants around 70 million plantation trees each year.

Canadian oil sands production is expected to reach 3.7 million barrels per day 2030
Talk about not being unable to see the wood for the trees.

Is this a Canadian thing, or is it just you?
(rhetorical)

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm

Here he comes out of the woodwork, not adding anything positive, Mr. Narcissist

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2024, 12:56 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm
Sorry for your loss.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2024, 2:50 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm
Before the cheap insults, try checking your facts. Yes total emmisions are 1.5% of the world, but Canada's population is only .5% of the world. It is the worlds 11th biggest emitter of Greenhouse gases per capita. Fortunately the current government have ambitious plans to reduce that, but the economy is addicted to oil and gas revenues.

My comments were factual, there is nothing environmentally positive about black oil sand mining, if you want to put a positive slant on that operation, lets hear them.
Last edited by Whistler on March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » March 28, 2024, 3:02 pm

Speaking of Canada, someone mentioned to me that a Canadian state has nuclear reactors and doing ok, would they be correct. I wonder if that is feasible in Canada.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2024, 3:19 pm

Canada does not have any states.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2024, 3:28 pm

Sport wrote:
March 28, 2024, 3:02 pm
Speaking of Canada, someone mentioned to me that a Canadian state has nuclear reactors and doing ok, would they be correct. I wonder if that is feasible in Canada.
Canada has some very innovative N power plants, I read about one that uses low grade uranium very effectively. They are also experimenting with small nucleur plants that can be deployed to smallish, cold climate, remote communities where transporting fossil fuels is expensive and solar power is unsuitable. Being such a huge country, much of it in very cold climates, and a relatively small population, their power needs are quite unique.

Maybe they can make some sort of breakthrough in nuclear technology, be great if they could.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2024, 3:29 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 28, 2024, 3:19 pm
The difference between a state and a province, apart from the spelling? Not a lot IMHO.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2024, 3:49 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 28, 2024, 3:19 pm
The difference between a state and a province, apart from the spelling? Not a lot IMHO.
Harassment alert!

Canada still does not have any States.

I trust the following helps:
What is the difference between Province and State?
There is a difference between the power shown by a province and a state. However, there are undefined areas in both US and Canada that create problems when it comes to describing the division of powers between the central government and the provinces or the states.

• Definition of Province and State:
• Province is defined as a unit of a country that is created with administrative point of view.

• A state is also defined as a smaller territory that adds up to make a federation, such as US.

• Allegiance:
• Provinces show their allegiance to the central government. However, in Canada you can see that some provinces have a way of leaning to either the Queen of England or to France.

• States bear their allegiance to the central government.

• Level of Autonomy:
• Provinces are more or so under the power of the central government. Usually, though they can take decisions provincially, they have to obey the rules of the central government.

• States are more autonomous. They can have different laws. That is why you see that sometimes something that is accepted as a crime in one state of US is not accepted as a crime in another state. They are very much independent. However, they too have to obey the central government of the country.

As you can see, both province and state have their differences that make them different entities though both are sub-divisions of a country.
https://www.differencebetween.com/diffe ... -vs-state/

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 28, 2024, 4:01 pm

Canada is a leader in Nuclear power. Some reactors are approaching 50 years in service. The big difference is that they operate using Heavy Water/Deuterium Oxide as a coolant/Moderator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_Canada

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm

As I said, very little difference between states and provinces. China as an example renamed provinces and called them states....same, same.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm
As I said, very little difference between states and provinces. China as an example renamed provinces and called them states....same, same.
You are going way off topic again Khun Whistler.

For your information, you are incorrect. China has Provinces, not states. Hope this helps,
China has 33 administrative units directly under the central government; these consist of 22 provinces, 5 autonomous regions, 4 municipalities (Chongqing, Beijing, Shanghai, and Tianjin), and 2 special administrative regions (Hong Kong and Macau)./quote]

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 28, 2024, 4:52 pm

My apologies LYM, it was India not China that changed the names of provinces to be called states.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2024, 5:12 pm

Gotta love the google wars, eh?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 28, 2024, 4:52 pm
My apologies LYM, it was India not China that changed the names of provinces to be called states.
No problem. We mere mortals are prone to err from time to time.

Bubbler
udonmap.com

Post by Bubbler » March 28, 2024, 5:28 pm

Yeah, hydrogen's been getting a lot of buzz lately, but we shouldn't forget it's not as green or efficient as it sounds. Solar and wind power might be a better choice for a sustainable energy future.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 28, 2024, 6:57 pm

Hydrogen " but we shouldn't forget it's not as green or efficient as it sounds."
And why is that?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2024, 7:05 pm

GIYF

Hydrogen fuel cells

Pros: No vehicle emissions other than water vapor. Fuel economy equivalent to about twice that of gasoline vehicles. Hydrogen is abundant, and can be made from renewable energy.

Cons: This space-age technology is expensive. Acceptable range requires extremely-high-pressure, on-board hydrogen storage. Few places to refuel. Hydrogen is very expensive to transport and there is no infrastructure in place yet.

Currently hydrogen fuel is made from non renewable natural gas in a process that creates enormous CO2 emissions.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/201 ... /index.htm
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 28, 2024, 7:28 pm

Hydrogen gas is produced by several industrial methods. In 2022 less than 1% of hydrogen production was low-carbon. Fossil fuels are the dominant source of hydrogen, for example by steam reforming of natural gas. Other methods of hydrogen production include biomass gasification and methane pyrolysis. Methane pyrolysis and water electrolysis can use any source of electricity including renewable energy. Underground hydrogen is extracted.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 29, 2024, 9:07 am

Until they can extract hydrogen from air economically, major hydrogen use is out of reach. Extracting hydrogen with electricity is somewhat promising but not yet unless the electricity is generated from renewables such as wind and solar. Then there is still the problem of how to transport and store it. Generating electricity from the earths tides is quite interesting but that is too expensive. Hopefully the day will come with small extraction units for hydrogen use locally.

Return to “Open Forum”