Selling / Swapping Thai Gold

deankham
udonmap.com

Selling / Swapping Thai Gold

Post by deankham » July 10, 2023, 2:15 pm

Hi Guys,

A Thai gold question for you. Everyone's favourite subject I'm sure!! :shock:

The wife has several thai gold jewellery items that she wants to trade for one larger piece of gold jewellery.

She was planning on going to one of the gold shops on Posri Road and asking them to swap the old for the new. Assumption is she'd have to pay the difference between sell and buy price and maybe a design fee on the new piece?

However one of her friends who is an expert on everything :roll: has told her not to do this. Instead she should sell the old gold first, go home and they go back the next day and buy the new gold.
Of course my wife does not want to ask her why she should do this and instead is asking me to tell her what to do.

So I am handing over responsbility for this decision to the many years of experienced opinion on Udon Map.

So guys, please tell me the best (i.e the cheapest way) to do this transaction.

Many thanks 8)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Selling / Swapping Thai Gold

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 10, 2023, 3:13 pm

deankham wrote:
July 10, 2023, 2:15 pm

She was planning on going to one of the gold shops on Posri Road and asking them to swap the old for the new. Assumption is she'd have to pay the difference between sell and buy price and maybe a design fee on the new piece?

However one of her friends who is an expert on everything :roll: has told her not to do this. Instead she should sell the old gold first, go home and they go back the next day and buy the new gold.
Of course my wife does not want to ask her why she should do this and instead is asking me to tell her what to do.
My experience has been that you are better able to negotiate the making fee if you do the whole transaction at one time.

The reasoning behind this is that the shop is making a profit on buying the old jewellery and will also make a profit on the new piece/s.

Another point is that you will encourage the shop to purchase the older items if they know they are selling new ones.

It is not uncommon for gold shops to be reluctant (or even outright refuse) to purchase items they have not sold specially if you are not a return customer.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 10, 2023, 6:59 pm

Thanks stww.

That is in line with my original thinking would is reassuring.

Also good point about the shop being reluctant to buy the old gold outright.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 13, 2023, 10:05 pm

Simple option as many gold shops in udon, visit 3 different shops

1. Get a valuation to sell only
2. Get a selling valuation
3. Get a swap valuation

Decide which option(s) best for you

Or just try 2 or 3 shops for swap and pick best overall cost

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 14, 2023, 1:40 am

Great advice from DR .. alterantively i submit my doctors certification stating my cronic allergic reaction to touching the handles on a gold shop.door thus unable to enter said premises.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » July 14, 2023, 6:51 am

I sold some scrap gold, mainly old rings of varing quality, pre COVID, as DR suggested try a few different shops, I ended up selling to the shop on the roundabout who advertise at the top of Udonmap's home page, they offered the best price.
The quotes to buy varied considerably by a few thousand BHT.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 14, 2023, 9:51 am

I always bought my wife a baht or two of gold for her birthdays. After more than ten years she had quite a bit of gold. She had found some farm land that she wanted to buy. I told her that if she wanted that land so bad to sell her gold. She did sell most of her gold and bought the farmland. I know she went to several different shops and they all offered nearly the same price. I don't think various shops pay much more or less. The cost of gold has gone up a lot so no more gold for her birthdays. She is a farm girl and at least doesn't squander her money. Over the past twenty years she has accumulated sixty five rai. She doesn't sell any of her land, only accumulates more. She says the land is her security for after I am gone, I am now 78 years old.

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”