Hong Kong's Domestic Security Bill

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Hong Kong's Domestic Security Bill

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 12, 2024, 12:43 pm

This Bill is designed to root out anyone/groups who commit acts that might be seen as traitorous to Hong Kong or to the Government of China. The Times and other western news sources are focused on the fact that those who have kept old copies of 'Apple Daily' and broadcast it as the truth are committing treason and will be punished with three years in prison. As a side note, it is mentioned that those individuals who keep old copies of 'Apple Daily for their own personal use such as reading in private have nothing to fear.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hong ... -3v55jnz7l:
Hongkongers to be jailed for keeping old newspapers
National security law to prosecute people with copies of the defunct publication Apple Daily
On the other hand, the South China Morning Post emphasises the point that it will not be unlawful to possess old copies
of 'Apple Daily'. One may also possess statues of The Goddess of Democracy.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law ... ing-it-say
Keeping copy of Apple Daily tabloid does not breach Hong Kong’s domestic security bill, but using it to say reporting is true can be seditious: top adviser
‘If you keep a copy at home as a memento and read it in the loo in your free time, it proves that you do not have a mens rea,’ says Ronny Tong, member of Executive Council
Tong stresses that an individual’s actions will only be considered illegal if they harbour unlawful intent
My question is, what happens if you have old copies of 'The South China Morning Post' when it had a less pro-China line and showed these copies around? My suspicion is that this too would be seen as a breach of Hong Kong's proposed domestic security law.

Reader's comments from The Times:

J Stewart
13 HOURS AGO

Yeah, quite a nuisance, when you want to rewrite history, if there are some old papers about. How about a leaflet drop on Beijing, copies of foreign papers dated 5 June 1989?

Recommend (34)

Ron Manley
11 HOURS AGO

In the novel '1984' Winston Smith's job was to edit old newspapers so that the text confirmed to a new political/military reality.

Recommend (26)

E Fox
11 HOURS AGO
Replying to Ron Manley

The Soviets had “Pravda,”- “The Truth,” Winston was a staffer at the Ministry of Truth, and now China is running a nasty reality show.

Da do Ron Ron!

Recommend (3)

M Bun
9 HOURS AGO
Replying to Ron Manley

Today, Winston would edit current ones too

Recommend (3)

B PUGH
6 HOURS AGO
Replying to Ron Manley

Aren’t they already doing that with Roald Dahl ?

Recommend (1)

D Reid
1 HOUR AGO
Replying to Ron Manley

And that is exactly what is happening in Britain and other woke countries sanitising or removing literature or statues commemorating great benefactors. See Turandot article above as an example.

Recommended (0)

Ken Starling
13 HOURS AGO

Xi is now vying with Putin to see who can achieve the most repressive regime!

Recommend (26)

M Durrani
12 HOURS AGO

The true face of the "Peoples Republic", nothing peoples about it, it is totalitarianism. Shame on China.

Recommend (25)

James Harrington
12 HOURS AGO

Another example of The madness of the Chinese government, illustrating the insecurity of an entire political class, it’s a cadre of like minded , evil people intent on destroying any debate, it’s the same old symptom dressed differently of the perpetual victims syndrome the Chinese wallow in. Ridiculous. For a nation so haunted by its history that it must eradicate every crumb of dissent. [/quote]

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Hong Kong's Domestic Security Bill

Post by jackspratt » March 13, 2024, 10:04 am

The unfortunate reality is that Hong Kong is part of China, so whatever China decides is what will happen.

We can lament until the cows come home, but it is not going to change anything, including Beijing's ignoring of the Basic Law when it suits them.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 13, 2024, 11:52 am

Sad, but true.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 15, 2024, 11:44 am

Left out of the South China Morning Post article is that China is pressing Hong Kong to speed up the passing of the bill.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/pol ... track-bill

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/27561 ... ngs-urging

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 23, 2024, 3:09 pm

More information about the Domestic Security Bill. While it is true little/nothing can be done to alter the situation, one wonders why voices from the left are not voicing their concerns over this.
Hong Kong's new security law expands scope abroad. What to know about the Article 23 laws
Some provisions allow for prosecutions for acts committed outside of Hong Kong, financial sanctions
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-kong ... -1.7148162

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 23, 2024, 6:29 pm

Here is one Hongkonger's reflection on the Bill:
Hong Kong is my home. I will stay even as the clouds gather
Luz Yee lost her job as a journalist, and watched as friends and colleagues killed themselves or were jailed. She wonders if the authorities will come for her.

The political crackdown in Hong Kong has changed my home city for ever, and not only in the most obvious, terrible and newsworthy ways. In the five years since the mass democracy demonstrations against the territory’s pro-Chinese government, I have lost two friends to suicide, and seen many others arrested, charged and imprisoned.

The damage done to Hong Kong goes beyond the prominent trials of people like Joshua Wong, the democracy activist, and the newspaper proprietor Jimmy Lai. The rushed passage last week of the new security law known as Article 23 will no doubt lead to more trials and convictions. And countless ordinary Hongkongers will continue to pay a price that is impossible to calculate, in careers lost, education interrupted, parents and siblings separated, and mental health ruined.

I finished my postgraduate studies in Britain and returned to the city shortly before the democracy movement erupted in 2019. I was born and raised in Hong Kong, but until that moment I had never had a strong identity with the city. But after those immense and dignified demonstrations, this place and its people would never be the same.

Within a single week, two of my friends jumped to their deaths in a desperate and despairing plea for the voices of the protesters to be heard. As the situation escalated, more and more people I know were arrested. Some of them have finished serving their term, some are still months — or even years — from release.

The Covid-19 pandemic and the imposition by China of a National Security Law stifled the demonstrations. The tear gas and pepper spray had gone, but a bigger and heavier cloud loomed.

Independent media outlets shut down one after another. Apple Daily, for whom I worked as an editor, closed in June 2021, then Stand News after Christmas, and Citizen News on the second day of the new year. Some of the most respected editors have since been put behind bars. It has been more than two and a half years since they were charged under the national security law imposed by Beijing. The trial is continuing and the date of the verdict is still not clear.

There have been widespread arrests, including among the media

Along with hundreds of others, I lost my job. Not just a job — the whole profession was crushed. People like me were deemed “unwanted” by other news organisations because of where we had worked. Some colleagues have changed careers, and more have joined the broader exodus and moved abroad via the visa “lifeboat” schemes offered by western countries including the UK and Canada.

So has my family. My brother made the decision to leave a promising career and stable salary after my nephew came home from school one day and said the teacher hushed him when he said that Hong Kong was a British colony. New textbooks printed for local schools insist that China has always had sovereignty over Hong Kong and the British only “imposed colonial rule” on the territory.

I remember seeing them off at the airport. At the check-in were queues of people pushing trolleys with hills of giant suitcases, topped by young children dangling their feet and fiddling the shoulder straps of brand-new colourful backpacks — practical farewell gifts for the emigrants. It was the moment when the world was still rattled by the pandemic. Perhaps it was because they were masked, but I could not sense any excitement about the new adventure that these people were embarking on. Like my brother, they were not going on holiday: they were uprooting themselves and leaving behind the life they knew.

Many have chosen to uproot their lives and families and move abroad, taking advantage of visa “lifeboat” schemes
lives and families and move abroad, taking advantage of visa “lifeboat” schemes

My octogenarian, wheelchair-bound grandmother was not at the airport for the send-off. But I saw many, many grandmas and grandpas hold tightly onto the younger ones before they parted, weeping as their loved ones disappeared beyond the departure gate. Last week, research by the Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention at the University of Hong Kong identified a rising trend of suicide among elderly people, which could be attributed to the feeling of abandonment caused by younger people moving away.

I meet my grandma at least twice a week now. I am her only grandchild left in town.

Most of my family and many colleagues and friends have left, a bitter reality that I have to live with every day. For the past few years, I have been spending weekends visiting friends in prisons in some of the most remote parts of Hong Kong.

The new Article 23 security law is expected to lead to more trials and convictions

During these visits, it is strange to meet my former colleagues also visiting their former colleagues. It is almost like being back in the newsroom — except that we are in a high-security facility, and none of us are journalists any more.

When Article 23 was ushered through on Tuesday, my phone was bombarded with messages from former colleagues. Instead of words, they consisted only of emojis. People who used to write for a living have been made wordless. Events are so extreme that it feels as if there is nothing left to say.

Events are so extreme, Yee says, that it feels as if there is nothing left to say

“Are you leaving?” has become a standard conversational opening for Hongkongers these days. My answer was always no. But over the past few weeks, as I studied the draft bill of Article 23, and saw how it was being rushed through, I began to have second thoughts. Could I be charged for my present work, freelancing for an overseas organisation? Do I need to second-guess and self-censor before I have even written a word?

I asked a friend the same questions on our bus ride to yet another prison visit. Unlike me, she is a mother; but like me, she has been struggling to find a media job because of where we both worked. She fell into silence. And as I started staring into the cloudless sky, she said: “Let’s wait and see, shall we? Let’s stay here, and wait and see.”

Luz Yee is a pseudonym

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hong ... -59jkgh2bk

Return to “Politics - Other than Thailand”