Donald Trump within a few days of criminal charges

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: Donald Trump within a few days of criminal charges

Post by Potamoi » August 2, 2023, 11:44 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 2, 2023, 5:58 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... president/

Convicted, who cares
Wait now what?
I always thought that one could not hold public office as a felon without completing ones sentences including parole. Is this just another media embellishment against anyone not Biden? Think for a sec...
https://lawrina.org/blog/what-rights-do ... lic_Office

I give absolutelly two s hits about Trump so I often wonder why do so many people give all the O2 to him? Just wondering. It really sounds like the media has done their job, just saying... look at what you are being told my fellow UM posters and put on that think cap. Jeez!

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 3, 2023, 6:34 am

Potamoi wrote:
August 2, 2023, 11:44 pm
Doodoo wrote:
August 2, 2023, 5:58 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... president/

Convicted, who cares
Wait now what?
I always thought that one could not hold public office as a felon without completing ones sentences including parole. Is this just another media embellishment against anyone not Biden? Think for a sec...
https://lawrina.org/blog/what-rights-do ... lic_Office

I give absolutelly two s hits about Trump so I often wonder why do so many people give all the O2 to him? Just wondering. It really sounds like the media has done their job, just saying... look at what you are being told my fellow UM posters and put on that think cap. Jeez!
From your link
"Unfortunately, every state imposes an additional penalty for those who have faced incarceration."
Think the key is "State", the President does not represent a specific State so restrictions probably do not apply.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2023, 7:19 am

CANADA
"Section 750 (2) provides that a person who is convicted of an indictable offence and sentenced to a term of imprisonment of two years or more is barred from being a member of Parliament. He or she is not entitled to be elected, or to sit as a member, or to vote."

UK
"The Representation of the People Act 1981 excludes persons who are currently serving a prison sentence of a year or more"

and others

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 3, 2023, 11:04 am

Did some light reseach....

Currently, a US Citizen charged and even convicted of a crime that has served his sentence can be elected president.

Up for discussion, but with the current supreme court I'd expect it'll not be a problem.
Elected President still serving his prison term. Courts to decide.

Elected President once sworn in pardoning himself. Courts to decide on Federal Charges only.

Elected President once sworn in, killing all DOJ on going investigations against him. Has the power to do so, but most likely will be challenged in court (again, with the current supreme court!!!).

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 3, 2023, 2:43 pm

Oh, and on which policy / rule / law on who can become head of state.

My experience for what it's worth, don't see criminal charges or any previous conviction (even murder) as a reason to disqualify someone to run for political office. Let the people decide, that's democracy!!

When I was in the military, my best bosses and mentors were those with NJP on their record. Some were young and made mistakes, some were more concerned with Sailors welfare/morale than what was written in a rule book and others were just to honest for their own good.

Yea, there were habitual fxxk ups and selfish individuals.....but everyone knew they were assholes and for the most part they were always ranked low on annual evaluations....limiting or completely killing their chances of retention and advancement.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 3, 2023, 5:03 pm

Mosquito wrote:
August 3, 2023, 2:43 pm
Oh, and on which policy / rule / law on who can become head of state.

My experience for what it's worth, don't see criminal charges or any previous conviction (even murder) as a reason to disqualify someone to run for political office. Let the people decide, that's democracy!!

When I was in the military, my best bosses and mentors were those with NJP on their record. Some were young and made mistakes, some were more concerned with Sailors welfare/morale than what was written in a rule book and others were just to honest for their own good.

Yea, there were habitual fxxk ups and selfish individuals.....but everyone knew they were assholes and for the most part they were always ranked low on annual evaluations....limiting or completely killing their chances of retention and advancement.
I have to agree that's exactly what the US's version of democracy Constitutionally allows. In the meantime, there are several more... mature nations that have already traveled that dangerous path, learned the hard way and have enacted statutes that prevent state or national leadership by those who have habitually broken the law. Not many of them squandered millions of bucks on thousands of lawyers just to make them look honest and keep them out of the hoosgow though. Maybe some of them should have tried harder? At being honest I mean.

But here we are with a soon-to-be octogenarian still 'making mistakes' except he's not going to become a 'best boss' or 'mentor' now is he? He's aiming to be Commander-in-Chief (again). Keep in mind that he already raised the specter of him shooting down a man in broad daylight and not a damn thing being done about it. I recall that this was just before he became 45 so your "(even murder)" isn't too outlandish here.

I guess Donnie John does fit handily into that last group, no? The "habitual fxxk ups and selfish individuals"?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 3, 2023, 5:26 pm

Trump failed the first time to overthrow the elected president, give him another go. After all, Hitler needed more than one attempt too.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 3, 2023, 7:27 pm

Might be the odd man here, but.....I'm hoping Trump gets the Republican nomination.

Biden losing a few steps / brain cells due to old age and Kamala is just baggage on the democratic ticket. However, confident majority of Americans will not vote for Trump in 2024 and would vote for anyone running against him (ANY Democratic Ticket) to ensure he doesn't get elected.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 3, 2023, 9:56 pm

I agree, mozzie.

I believe far too much attention (numbers wise) is given to his rusted on cult followers, and not enough attention paid to the Democrat supporters, plus the independents who have shown in previous elections that they are thoroughly pissed off with the grifting charlatan. It is almost like the media is still in thrall of his unexpected win in 2016 - even forgetting he lost the popular vote by 3m+ votes.

Any "reasonable" GOP nominee would stand a good chance of unseating the octogenarian Biden.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 3, 2023, 10:24 pm

The biggest problem I see for slow Joe is the independents are tired of him and Kamala making big promise that they can't deliver. As for the corrupt Trumpster some of his base are getting fed up with his constant whining and may stay home. It will definitely be a toss up in November 2024.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 4, 2023, 12:53 am

Points of note from last couple of member's comments.

How about the "rusted on" elected members of Congress? The Joe Jordan's and the MJT's and the Noem's. Then there's the useful (but still elected) idiot governors like Greg Abbott.

On the "other side" there's the equally odious AOC's and Fetterman's. And don't forget the lunacy of stuffing courts with your local loony judge, just because you can. That's not unique to the SCOTUS either.

Don't need no lefty media to remind us of who got democratically elected (and how and why). At the same time, MSM seems hard pressed to explain why nobody appears to be talking about the more reasonable middle ground any more. Goes back to Dubya's " You're either with us or against us" and probably beyond.

As for being unable to deliver on big promises, is there an elected head of state anywhere in the world who is managing to do that right now? Not in France, not in UK either. With the possible exception of Lula in Brazil, most are failing to deliver anything tangible or remotely close to what it said on the tin.

PS. Lula's dead cat bounce after the awful Bolsonaro years won't last forever either. Only for as long as they're allowed not to lurch from one extreme to the opposite.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 4, 2023, 7:17 am

Stantheman wrote:
August 3, 2023, 10:24 pm
The biggest problem I see for slow Joe is the independents are tired of him and Kamala making big promise that they can't deliver. As for the corrupt Trumpster some of his base are getting fed up with his constant whining and may stay home. It will definitely be a toss up in November 2024.

Going to give Independents enough credit, they know that House Republicans are currently holding up President Biden and Kamala's Big Promises.

Praying that in 2025 we'll be looking at a Dem controlled congress and a Dem President.
One of those becareful what you wish for.......I'd be happy with taxing the wealthy and corporations, solidify Social Security and Medicare....then getting controls on the Supreme Court.....then protecting women and minority rights.

Yea, Dems will spend billions (if not trillions) on social programs....for myself I'd prefer my tax dollars going to help people in need (and the few freeloaders)....then being spent on billionaires and multi-billion dollar corporations.

Republicans will say otherwise, but Dems will submit bills that'll help small business without those poison pills that'll mostly benefit big business.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 4, 2023, 9:33 am

It's pretty clear now that for Trump, winning the election next year is the only way he can stay out of jail.

His trial date for the Jan 6 crimes will be set on August 28, and will almost certainly proceed well before the election. It will be interesting to see how many of the MAGA cultists will still vote for a convicted felon.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 4, 2023, 10:00 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 4, 2023, 9:33 am
It's pretty clear now that for Trump, winning the election next year is the only way he can stay out of jail.

His trial date for the Jan 6 crimes will be set on August 28, and will almost certainly proceed well before the election. It will be interesting to see how many of the MAGA cultists will still vote for a convicted felon.

"You Can't Fix Stupid" If anything # of MAGA voters voting for Trump might increase.

Would easily double if JFK Jr. (RIP) was his running mate. :lol: :lol:

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 4, 2023, 5:49 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 4, 2023, 9:33 am

Even if Convicted the Trumpster will never see the inside of a jail due to required Secret Service lifetime protection requirements.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 4, 2023, 6:41 pm

Sorry Sat Donny would have a special cell to accommodate others or room for another set of bunkbeds

https://www.businessinsider.com/secret- ... dge-2023-4
"Trump's Secret Service agents would accompany him if he went to jail, says retired US judge"

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 5, 2023, 9:31 am

if he goes for treason, will the secret service guys have a shootout with the firing squad?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2023, 9:44 am

Doodoo wrote:
August 4, 2023, 6:41 pm
Sorry Sat Donny would have a special cell to accommodate others or room for another set of bunkbeds

https://www.businessinsider.com/secret- ... dge-2023-4
"Trump's Secret Service agents would accompany him if he went to jail, says retired US judge"
They only need to clean up a couple of rooms on Alcatraz, one for DJT and another for the SS guy. Shouldn't need them for more than a few days, no?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 5, 2023, 10:39 am

One of the reasons Donny may not see conviction is that same reason Nixon did not get sent to jail, it would be an embarrassment to the Country . Biden would not want his name in the history books as being the executioner is this case.
It could also be a big plus for Democrats in the next elections with Trump supporters

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 5, 2023, 11:10 am

Doodoo wrote:
August 5, 2023, 10:39 am
One of the reasons Donny may not see conviction is that same reason Nixon did not get sent to jail, it would be an embarrassment to the Country . Biden would not want his name in the history books as being the executioner is this case.
It could also be a big plus for Democrats in the next elections with Trump supporters
Nixon was pardoned by his former VP, both Republicans. I doubt if Biden would be of the same mindset. While Nixon's crimes were serious, they pale into insignificance compared to those levied against Trump in both number of counts and severity.

Return to “U.S. Politics”