Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
January 23, 2024, 8:39 pm
tamada wrote:
January 23, 2024, 6:14 pm
Whistler wrote:
January 23, 2024, 1:20 pm
wazza wrote:
January 23, 2024, 1:05 pm
No doubt scuntmo has the anniversary dates worked out for his pension / super payouts.

heard that his upcoming novel, has first 5 chapters dedicated to his ministries
how did this man ever become prime Minister? He was awful before he took the top job, sacked as head of Tourism Australia, and then 100% lived up to his previous nasty, arrogant, chaotic, self absorbed past to deliver the worst government in Australia's history.

Whitlam was certainly chaotic, but he did deliver on some excellent policies, so he had his saving graces, Morrison had none of these.
Being "nasty, arrogant, chaotic, self-absorbed" is a trait common with a whole lot of right-wing politicians from just about anywhere these days. You'd be hard-pressed to find these narcissistic, self-serving, money-grabbing characteristics in any Commie politician. Incompetence, obfuscation, vacillation and deceit maybe, but not nasty, arrogant, chaotic and self-absorbed.
North Korea might be another nasty communist government that you might find equals that of 'a whole lot of right-wing politicians about anywhere these days'.
The People's Republic of China and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. I guess that's what one can call the low-hanging fruit. Unless you're counting populations, not a "whole lot" though, is it? Plenty more countries being swayed by "nasty, arrogant, chaotic, self-absorbed" RWNJ's compared to those two and their "incompetence, obfuscation, vacillation and deceit."

How about Modi's India, eh? That must be getting the numbers up.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Australian federal politics

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 24, 2024, 6:38 am

I was just wondering how you could miss China and North Korea in your thesis, which seemed a bit odd. My intention was not to initiate a debate about nasty right and left wing politicians.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 24, 2024, 10:39 am

tamada wrote:
January 23, 2024, 6:14 pm
Whistler wrote:
January 23, 2024, 1:20 pm
wazza wrote:
January 23, 2024, 1:05 pm
No doubt scuntmo has the anniversary dates worked out for his pension / super payouts.

heard that his upcoming novel, has first 5 chapters dedicated to his ministries
how did this man ever become prime Minister? He was awful before he took the top job, sacked as head of Tourism Australia, and then 100% lived up to his previous nasty, arrogant, chaotic, self absorbed past to deliver the worst government in Australia's history.

Whitlam was certainly chaotic, but he did deliver on some excellent policies, so he had his saving graces, Morrison had none of these.
Being "nasty, arrogant, chaotic, self-absorbed" is a trait common with a whole lot of right-wing politicians from just about anywhere these days. You'd be hard-pressed to find these narcissistic, self-serving, money-grabbing characteristics in any Commie politician. Incompetence, obfuscation, vacillation and deceit maybe, but not nasty, arrogant, chaotic and self-absorbed.
Ya think so? Communist Putin has no characterizations such as narcissistic, self serving and money grabbing?

I respectfully disagree.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » January 24, 2024, 5:05 pm

Been a big day in Australian federal politics with suprisingly no mention of Putin, the Chinese communist party or the North Koreans, Great day for the Aussie battler and the fair go spirit.
Simon Rosenberg
@simon_rosenberg
The 'broken promise' narrative works better for political opponents when the result is a *worse* outcome for people.

In this case, 92% of taxpayers will be better off than #Stage3 promised. And the top 8% won't care.

I predict LNP and Murdoch attacks will fail miserably.

Richard Denniss
@RDNS_TAI
The hand wringing about ‘broken promises’ is fun to watch. After decades of demanding we ‘put the economy first’ and mocking ‘identify politics’ conservatives now want Labor to prioritise virtue signalling over a promise rather than modify an inappropriate tax policy #auspol

Patrick McGorry
@PatMcGorry
As someone who would have benefited from the unmodified Stage 3 I am delighted and relieved that the Government has decided to put the needs of the many ahead the needs of the few. Past 20 yrs has seen an extreme transfer of wealth from poorer to richer people. Needs reversal
Watch Me!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 25, 2024, 8:36 am

Marj, I was astonished that you thought that the Murdoch press would be deceitful.... 55

Headline in News Limited The Australian.
'More than 1 million Australians will be worse off'

Headlines in The Age'
'More than 11 million Australians will be better off'

For those who are not familiar with what is actually happening.. Proposed tax cuts for the wealthy have been trimmed back a bit so the 1.1 million who earn salaries above 150k still get big tax cuts, but not as big as the original proposal, none of the them will be worse off, in fact they are getting substantial tax cuts. However middle income earners are seeing a tax cut of around 8%
The Murdoch press is deliberately being as misleading as possible.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 25, 2024, 8:40 am

Whistler wrote:
January 25, 2024, 8:36 am
Marj, I was astonished that you thought that the Murdoch press would be deceitful.... 55

Headlines in The Age'

For those who are not familiar with what is actually happening.. Proposed tax cuts for the wealthy have been trimmed back a bit so the 1.1 million who earn salaries above 150k still get big tax cuts, but not as big as the original proposal, none of the them will be worse off, in fact they are getting substantial tax cuts. However middle income earners are seeing a tax cut of around 8%
With cardinal greg sheridan at the centre of mudock political pieces, a religious RWNJ

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 25, 2024, 1:44 pm

wazza wrote:
January 25, 2024, 8:40 am
Whistler wrote:
January 25, 2024, 8:36 am

Headlines in The Age'

With cardinal greg sheridan at the centre of mudock political pieces, a religious RWNJ
Here is a prediction for you. This policy change will boost Albanese's popularity and makes News Limited and Dutton as being out of touch with reality.

The Labor party has just 'unstupid' the stage 3 tax cuts announced by the Morrison policy in 2019. Based on the already discredited 'trickle down' economics, based on a low inflation, pre-covid economy, the 4 year old policy was no longer relevant.

Albanese broke an election promise, yep. That will be applauded by economists and the Australian public.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » January 26, 2024, 10:18 am

Having driven through Corowa ( the birthplace of Federation ) and today, being the 26th of January ( Australia Day ) l wonder whether the federal government will appease those in the community and move the date of Australia Day to the 1st of January in line with federation.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 26, 2024, 10:21 am

trekkertony wrote:
January 26, 2024, 10:18 am
Having driven through Corowa ( the birthplace of Federation ) and today, being the 26th of January ( Australia Day ) l wonder whether the federal government will appease those in the community and move the date of Australia Day to the 1st of January in line with federation.
Agree but the business council wont approve an alternative public holiday to replace 26th.

Corporate Oz take advantage of this....

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » January 26, 2024, 4:57 pm

I would have it as a referendum at the next federal elections. Moving it to another date would in my opinion would be supported by fair minded Australians

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 26, 2024, 5:22 pm

Why? What happened on New Year's Day?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » January 26, 2024, 5:52 pm

A few alternative dates here:
The ensuing Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 (UK) became law when Queen Victoria signed the Royal Commission of Assent on 9 July 1900. The Queen presented a duplicate copy, alongside her signing pen, inkstand, and table to Barton at a ceremony at Windsor Castle. On 17 September 1900, Her Majesty proclaimed that the Commonwealth of Australia would come into existence on 1 January 1901. She also issued Letters Patent on 29 October 1900 appointing Lord Hopetoun, formerly Governor of Victoria, as Australia’s first Governor-General. https://www.aph.gov.au/Visit_Parliament ... ealth_1901
29 October works for me. Could double up with cup day for the odd extra long weekend.
Watch Me!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 27, 2024, 10:01 pm

A bit of a backdate

61% of Australians thought stage 3 tax cuts were inequitable last year according to survey from The Australian institute, This include high income earners that thought the reforms were inequitable. They were of a view that good economic policy was more important than sticking to bad policies.

No wonder Dutton and News Limited were furious. It kneecaped them.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 28, 2024, 9:52 pm

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 5, 2024, 1:15 am

This is the calibre of some of our Politicians, if not most of them

So, it is not hard to understand why the country is going to the pack

They are all an absolute disgrace [-( :fryingpan: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 5, 2024, 7:55 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 5, 2024, 1:15 am
This is the calibre of some of our Politicians, if not most of them

So, it is not hard to understand why the country is going to the pack

They are all an absolute disgrace [-( :fryingpan: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

pipoz4444
Especially barnaby joyce who was pissed and fell over and didnt get up in a public place, then the deputy leader of the Nats was pissed and slurring words at a senate hearing, apologising later, saaying it was only 2 wines , yeah right.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 5, 2024, 12:55 pm

There are some clowns in Canberra, sadly there is a well established mindset of throwing plenty of brickbats. Not many roses at those in that place who serve the public with faithful service that contrubutes to a nation that fares well on the world stage.

Return to “Australia”