Voice to Parliament referendum

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Will ‘The Voice’ be the answer

Post by jackspratt » September 23, 2023, 11:49 am

How much onshore oil and gas exploration does Woodside do?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 23, 2023, 12:04 pm

It's not any onshore exploration by anyone that's causing an industry ruckus right now. Apparently the offshore exploration is disruptive to "Song Lines" and "Whale Dreaming."
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 23, 2023, 12:27 pm

tamada wrote:
September 23, 2023, 11:42 am
If they vote no, maybe Woodside can get back to doing oil and gas exploration.
You mean when the vote is no

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 23, 2023, 12:32 pm

By "offshore exploration" I guess you mean seismic blasting.

Yes, that is rather disruptive, and appropriately subject to legal challenge purely on environmental grounds.

Forget about The Voice - I rather go with the Secretary General of the United Nations:
Guterres said "new funding for fossil fuel exploration and production infrastructure is delusional" and would worsen the global problems of pollution and climate change.

https://www.reuters.com/business/enviro ... 022-06-14/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 23, 2023, 12:55 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 23, 2023, 12:32 pm
By "offshore exploration" I guess you mean seismic blasting.

Yes, that is rather disruptive, and appropriately subject to legal challenge purely on environmental grounds.

Forget about The Voice - I rather go with the Secretary General of the United Nations:
Guterres said "new funding for fossil fuel exploration and production infrastructure is delusional" and would worsen the global problems of pollution and climate change.

https://www.reuters.com/business/enviro ... 022-06-14/
Yes, unfortunately "seismic blasting" is the environmental activists imprecise and attention-grabbing misnomer that has been seized upon by a less than diligent mainstream media for a tag line. The scientific terminology of "pressure waves" just don't make for great headlines.

How's your Song Lines btw?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 23, 2023, 1:12 pm

tamada wrote:
September 23, 2023, 12:55 pm
The scientific terminology of "pressure waves" just don't make for great headlines.
But it does make for a pretty good red herring.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 23, 2023, 2:56 pm

The voice is about the aboriginal being able to advise about their thoughts, the Whales do not get a look in, YET...

Considering they are more intelligent than many humans, I think this is a travesty, they perform for whale watching cruises but don't get a red cent for their performances, and talk about the stolen generation, grandpa and grandma were harpooned! It's about time we sang sorry and paid up in herrings
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » September 25, 2023, 12:47 pm

Myles Jerrard, an aboriginal activist with the voice of reason.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » September 25, 2023, 3:45 pm

Poor albo and other yes'ss have made a mess of this yes vote. They did not do any background feel of the public, just bulldozed straight into it costing Aussies hundreds of millions and the only thing they have done is divided the country.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 25, 2023, 3:51 pm

Sport wrote:
September 25, 2023, 3:45 pm
........... and the only thing they have done is divided the country.
I think you are correct, Sport - between those who think, and those who react to irrational Facebook posts.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2023, 3:55 pm

noosard wrote:
September 23, 2023, 12:27 pm
tamada wrote:
You mean when the vote is no
Bloody hard to type with my fingers crossed
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » September 25, 2023, 4:46 pm

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 25, 2023, 9:12 pm

Looks like a misjudgement on the part of Albo.

It was an election promise, but with the Yes/No sentiment so close, a big risk.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 28, 2023, 3:31 pm

tamada wrote:
Not until they get their environmental ducks in a row.
Woodside's massive Scarborough gas development has been dealt a major blow, with the Federal Court finding an environmental plan for part of the project was not legally approved and was therefore invalid.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-28/ ... /102900684

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 28, 2023, 4:17 pm

Nothing wrong with Woodside's environmental permit application. The court threw out NOPSEMA's (the government regulator) approval of the Woodside EP. This is the same as what happened to their approval of Santos's drilling EP in late 2022.

Woodside have been consulting with the Murujuga Aboriginal Community (MAC) on Burrup on every stage of their investment and development since the latter were incorporated in 2006 whereas Woodside's first development there was around 1984.

The woman behind these current court cases is the former chair of MAC who resigned due to differences and conflicting ideals within that group. She identifies as Mardudunera who incidentally no longer have representation on MAC. Notably she has failed to respond to invitations from Woodside to engage in the deeper consultations that the earlier court rejection of the Santos EP required. This was after NOPSEMA recalled ALL previously approved exploration EP's and not just Woodside's. However, in many of her online profiles she still claims to be chair. Her legal support now comes from the Environmental Defenders Office, an NGO that although it doesn't disclose how it is supported financially, appears to be quite well funded, some of it quite... interesting.

In the 2022 Federal Budget, the Labor Federal Government committed $9.8 million over four years to the Environmental Defenders Office and Environmental Justice Australia to "improve access to justice and legal assistance for Australians wanting to uphold environmental laws and protect Australia's environment and heritage.

It's an environmental bun fight that's mired in vague spiritual notions and concepts. Last year it was the petroglyphs on the mainland.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-must ... 5b0or.html

This year it's the Whale Dreaming.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-14/ ... /102857824

https://www.afr.com/companies/energy/co ... 928-p5e88v
Last edited by tamada on September 28, 2023, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 28, 2023, 4:44 pm

Mining companies have a bit of a history of taking shortcuts on exploration, the existing regulations are well documented, like it or not, the indigenous community has to be engaged on major projects. Nothing to do with the Voice, this has been the case for yonks. They take shortcuts then get caught out.

I don't know enough to comment on this case, but a company with the experience and capacity of Woodside should have known this was coming. Get sign off from all the stakeholders first, then submit the exploration request.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 28, 2023, 5:57 pm

Whistler wrote:
September 28, 2023, 4:44 pm
Mining companies have a bit of a history of taking shortcuts on exploration, the existing regulations are well documented, like it or not, the indigenous community has to be engaged on major projects. Nothing to do with the Voice, this has been the case for yonks. They take shortcuts then get caught out.

I don't know enough to comment on this case, but a company with the experience and capacity of Woodside should have known this was coming. Get sign off from all the stakeholders first, then submit the exploration request.
No argument there on some companies willfully circumventing environmental rules and laws. However, Woodside has never shirked in this regard but when you need an ouija board to ensure you've engaged with 'every stakeholder' while the mortal ones don't respond to email or answer the phone, it does get all a bit frustrating.

Anyway, back to the Voice. What we think matters or otherwise is probably irrelevant as these legal constructs being dreamed up by governments and parliaments are a totally alien concept to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders anyway.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 4, 2023, 8:02 pm

A snapshot of Australian "leaders" from only 40 years ago.

Fortunately, attitudes have shifted a lot since those disgraceful times - but not enough, apparently. :(

tamada
udonmap.com

Voice to Parliament referendum

Post by tamada » October 6, 2023, 12:35 pm

Suggests some wheels may have come off already?

As vote nears, ‘horrific racism’ mars Australian Voice referendum campaign https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/ ... m-campaign
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Voice to Parliament referendum

Post by Whistler » October 6, 2023, 5:03 pm

tamada wrote:
October 6, 2023, 12:35 pm
Suggests some wheels may have come off already?

As vote nears, ‘horrific racism’ mars Australian Voice referendum campaign https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/ ... m-campaign
Sadly, not having the mental capacity to fully understand what The Voice is really about, is no impediment on being allowed to vote. In many cases, those with a bias against the Voice, do not really want to listen regardless.

The Voice is identical to other structures in many, many countries. In those countries, there has been no fallout, no massive divisions in the community but it has allowed indigenous people to express an opinion and advise the government on views of impending policy that may impact on their lives.

What a shame the scare mongerers appear to have been successful with their misinformation campaign. Australia is not a racist nation compared to many, this is a blot on that tolerance that generally exists in the nation.

Return to “Australia”