Luton airport fire

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Luton airport fire

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 13, 2023, 7:21 pm

This is a rather interesting viewpoint and suggests that the statements by the fire brigade may well be incorrect and they are propagating disinformation.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Luton airport fire

Post by tamada » October 14, 2023, 10:27 am

I can't view that annoying Aussie twunts YouTubes (even if I wanted to) but what does he suggest that the firemen have got wrong?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/l ... 4efb&ei=42
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 14, 2023, 4:38 pm

tamada wrote:
October 14, 2023, 10:27 am
I can't view that annoying Aussie twunts YouTubes (even if I wanted to) but what does he suggest that the firemen have got wrong?

The information is in his video with excellent reasoning for the probable cause, the disinformation is in your linked post.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 15, 2023, 5:46 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 14, 2023, 4:38 pm
tamada wrote:
October 14, 2023, 10:27 am

The information is in his video with excellent reasoning for the probable cause, the disinformation is in your linked post.
As I said earlier, I (still) can't run the YouTube due to network restrictions here so I (still) don't have a scooby about what the annoying Aussie twunt is claiming to be fire department disinformation.

My linked quote has the fire chief saying that although diesel has a very low flashpoint, the fire most likely STARTED in a diesel powered car. There's social media speculation that the fire started in an EV. There's a very good chance that some EV's could have contributed to the inferno.

So, is the Aussie twunt calling the fire chief a liar or is he taking the views of anonymous internet persons who weren't there as gospel?

PS: The Aussie twunt depends on his YT for income and his disinformation on things vehicular based on his preferences, biases and who knows what else, means most petrolheads have him on ignore. Plus he's bloody annoying in a face screwed up gurning, whining sort of way.

PS: I am not a petrolhead either.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 15, 2023, 7:01 am

Love the mis-information coming from people who are NOT even in the country they are talking about, poure supposition and idiotic ramblings. THAT PERSON MUST FEEL GOOD HE IS getting paid to utter stupidity.
How it started, over the years we have known of cars spontaneously caching fire , recently more so EVs, but not all EVs catch fire. likewise a Fossil Fuel vehicle can catch fire because often anj electrical fault was in the instigator under the hood or in the electronics.
They may come up woth a great educated guess but I suspect all evidence has been consumed so basically pure conjecture. Years ago learnt to never park my car in a long stay multi story, for reasons that are blatantly obvious .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 15, 2023, 9:24 am

The probable misinformation is being pushed by the authorities
Those who will not, or cannot, view the reports can draw their own conclusions or support the party line

The authorities are desperately pushing the “all electric and electric assisted vehicles are wonderful and the solution to CO2 pollution” idea.

Those who are rabidly of the opinion that the governments are telling 100% truth and 100% of the truth are living in a fantasy world.

You may be assuming that I am anti EV or Hybrid vehicles, nothing is further from the truth.
EVs are an excellent choice for some users. Hybrid vehicles are also excellent for others.
EVs have been around and in everyday use since before I was born and have been perfect for the jobs they did.

The problems come from the downright lies and deliberate misinformation along with the extreme lack of preparation for the widespread embracing of them.

EVs and Hybrids are, at the moment, much less likely to catch fire, the enormous problem is that the power supply is vastly more devastating as it contains its own oxygen supply and current techniques are completely unable to stop the thermal runaway. The only widespread option is to let it burn for a few days, possibly using water to reduce the effects of the nice byproducts such as gaseous hydrofluoric acid, sulfuric acid and other nasties. A fire like this may be contained while it burns in open areas without too many problems (if it’s not your vehicle), get the same in a multi story car park and you have a totally different story.

Pure Gasoline and diesel powered vehicles are a completely different situation, yes the total energy stored in the fuel may be similar, but they require external oxygen and heat for combustion, cool the vehicle, exclude the oxygen, the fire goes out. They can usually be stopped in a reasonably short time.

Lithium batteries supply their own heat and oxygen so stopping conventional firefighting systems.

There is a technology that can extinguish lithium battery fires but it isn’t available in any scale (there is one experimental installation) and won’t be for years yet. It is only possible if you have a handy RORO or moderately large ship nearby.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on October 15, 2023, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 15, 2023, 1:19 pm

So the fire chief is playing fast and loose with the truth in order to protect that nascent but all singing, all dancing, planet-saving EV car industry?

Is that what the Aussie twunt is wasting bandwidth on this time?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 18, 2023, 5:43 am

Finally watched the video and gave up when he called the security camera footage as evidence of an "explosion" when it's actually the explosive moment the ceiling collapses into a lower floor. As for the "no sooty smoke" hypothesis, well there's a considerable "tail wind" going on and the smoke is clearly visible blowing away and ahead of the burning vehicle. It's the same reason he can determine the make and model of the vehicle, ie. the video is taken from upwind.

Anyway, it does look like the fire could have started in an area where the hybrid model has a battery and it has been acknowledged that this was indeed a hybrid Range Rover.

Anyone in doubt about non-EV cars self combusting in airport car parks can search for the Sola airport fire. It's like deja vu.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 18, 2023, 10:00 pm

tamada wrote:
October 18, 2023, 5:43 am
Finally watched the video and gave up when he called the security camera footage as evidence of an "explosion" when it's actually the explosive moment the ceiling collapses into a lower floor. As for the "no sooty smoke" hypothesis, well there's a considerable "tail wind" going on and the smoke is clearly visible blowing away and ahead of the burning vehicle. It's the same reason he can determine the make and model of the vehicle, ie. the video is taken from upwind.

Anyway, it does look like the fire could have started in an area where the hybrid model has a battery and it has been acknowledged that this was indeed a hybrid Range Rover.

Anyone in doubt about non-EV cars self combusting in airport car parks can search for the Sola airport fire. It's like deja vu.
There is smoke as he clearly acknowledges but it is mostly white and not thick black smoke as would be produced from a diesel fire that is so near the start if its life. As to the wind tunnel effect you hypotheses, it’s a car park there is almost certainly some wind but nothing that will have a significant effect that is not produced by the battery runaway, as to being taken from upwind, its visible because the fire is on the opposite side and front of the car, yes there is some wind but it isn’t enough to effect the probable smoke.

How is terming the roof collapse an explosion wrong when as you say it’s the “explosive moment the ceiling collapses into a lower floor” it is certainly extremely likely that the collapse was indeed caused in the most part by the explosive effects of car fuel be it Lithium, diesel or petrol. A simple roof collapse will not produce the 20 meter fireball shown in the video.

Your discounting John’s reporting says more about your innate views than the accuracy of the report.

Yes vehicles catch fire in car parks, yes the effects of fossil fuel fires can be disastrous, but EVs and hybrids are going to be orders of magnitude worse unless the firefighting techniques are developed to avoid this.

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » October 18, 2023, 10:15 pm

imagine being stuck in a lift with these two?
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 19, 2023, 7:07 am

thewatchman wrote:
October 18, 2023, 10:15 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: ..its good to have the first chortle of the day so early thanks.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 19, 2023, 7:43 am

thewatchman wrote:
October 18, 2023, 10:15 pm
He's talking to himself actually.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”