Cambodian Visa

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
BobZubali
udonmap.com

Cambodian Visa

Post by BobZubali » January 2, 2024, 8:45 pm

Kenneth,

Are business visas still available on arrival at PP airport?

(especially of the ongoing extendable kind)

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Cambodia visa

Post by Fuzzy Ken » January 3, 2024, 11:26 am

BobZubali » January 2, 2024, 8:45 pm
Kenneth,
Answering the above question set by Bob, the answer nowadays, is likely to be no. However, it costs nothing to ask, but I should not be surprised if the answer is no.

Because of changes in tax rules, for all those working here, and the introduction of the evisa system, most probably the best approach for the majority of passport holders, is to obtain an evisa or visa on arrival which permits up to a 30 day stay.

Once in the country, speak to immigration or visit a visa/work permit agent, who will be able to advise on the latest rules and regulations, for those intending to have business and/or work in Cambodia.

For those who have pre-arranged employment, such as taking up a post with a company or school, the employer should have arranged the necessary visa and work permit paperwork, for presentation to immigration on arrival in Cambodia.

Otherwise, for those seeking employment, as do many after arrival, and have signed an employment contract with a school, for example, can apply for a work permit and change of visa status. Many choose to use an agency for this, and my recommendation would be Lucky Lucky on Monivong Blvd. in Phnom Penh, who are very helpful and have a good command of the English language.

Hope this helps, Fuzzyken

Phnom Penh Guide at https://www.fuzzykensblog.com

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Cambodian Visa

Post by pipoz4444 » January 3, 2024, 6:42 pm

BobZubali wrote:
January 2, 2024, 8:45 pm
Kenneth,

Hi and there is a gentleman located between Street 136 and 144 Doun Penh, who can arrange Visas, including a 12 month Residency type via.

I would suggest you just enter on the 35 USD Tourist Visa available on entry at the Airport, to most and then go see him or another Agent, if you are looking for something longer. PM me and I will share his address with you.

Regards
pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Re: Cambodian Visa

Post by BobZubali » January 3, 2024, 8:49 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
January 3, 2024, 6:42 pm
BobZubali wrote:
Kenneth,

Hi and there is a gentleman located between Street 136 and 144 Doun Penh, who can arrange Visas, including a 12 month Residency type via.

I would suggest you just enter on the 35 USD Tourist Visa available on entry at the Airport, to most and then go see him or another Agent, if you are looking for something longer. PM me and I will share his address with you.

Regards
pipoz4444
How much for a 12-month residency visa, please?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 4, 2024, 9:04 am

A friend of mine lived in Cambodia for about a year. (RIP). He told me that anything is possible in Cambodia. He was a chronic complainer and then said that Cambodia is even more corrupt than Thailand. As a side note he then made the move to the Philippines where he stayed until he died.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » January 4, 2024, 10:43 am

Almost everyone requires a visa to enter Cambodia and that is usually with a 30-day tourist visa.
I understand that the visa on arrival, not evisa, can be extended once only, for 30 days without leaving the country. However, as requirements can change, get the 30-day visa and ask at the immigration counter, for the latest requirements in this regard.

Incidentally, it has just been announced that immigration is now using an arrival stamp, clearly stating employment prohibited for holders of tourist visas.

Use your thirty days to investigate what is available in line with your requirements, which may be a short stay, long stay, retirement or employment etc.. As with Thailand, everyone you speak with, will have a variation on the theme, often incorrect of totally irrelevant. By far the best approach is to visit Phnom Penh and speak face to face with an agent, and as already mentioned, Lucky Lucky would always be my choice.

I have lived here for more than 4 years and would be happy to offer my advice to anyone venturing in this direction.

https://www.fuzzykensblog.com

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » January 4, 2024, 8:40 pm

Fuzzy Ken wrote:
January 4, 2024, 10:43 am

I have lived here for more than 4 years and would be happy to offer my advice to anyone venturing in this direction.

What's the monthly cost of living in PP nowadays?

(Mainly Khmer, Viet, and Thai food, a few beers here and there, 1-bed aircon apartment with basic furnishings)

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » January 5, 2024, 1:45 pm

I’ve often been asked, “how much does it cost to live in Phnom Penh”

With so many variables, and people’s personal requirements, there is no simple answer, but let’s try to uncover some helpful guidelines for those who may intend living here.

Where to stay
Like any large city there is a vast choice and the best advice I can offer, is to check the listings on the major sites such as Booking.com and Agoda. This will provide a useful overview of what’s available in different parts of the city. From very expensive 5-star hotels down to basic guesthouses. In this city, the more expensive accommodation tends to be found on, or close to the riverfront.

As far as budget apartments are concerned, often not listed on the large sites, my best advice would be to book a few nights at a cheap guest house, and then use your time here, to investigate. I would suggest using the excellent Google Maps, to familiarize yourself with the city’s layout.

For guidance, I rent a single room apartment, with basic furnishings some 2 kilometers from the city center. It has AC for $180 per month, plus electric and water, which is usually less than $20 per month. AC can be expensive to run and should I leave it on all the time, the electric bill will be quite considerable. Some apartments in excess of say $350, may be fully furnished including a washing machine and refrigerator, a local realtor can advise. Incidentally, Wi-Fi is included in my room rent. No shortage of laundries who charge $1 per kilo for washing. Ironing may be additional.

For comparison, a cheap AC guesthouse with private bathroom, for say $12 to $18 dollars a night would include electric and water charges but cooking and doing laundry in the room would of course, not be allowed. Most will have Wi-Fi. Some may offer discounts for long stay occupancy.

Eating
I like to prepare most meals in my apartment, which is considerably cheaper than eating out, usually less than $1 per meal. Western food in supermarkets is dearer than Khmer. Fish and chips for example at a respectable restaurant will cost around $6. Local beers are usually 3000Riel per can, maybe cheaper in supermarkets etc. No shortage of choice for cheaper Khmer meals in markets and streetside venders. Indian and Japanese restaurants plus pizza outlets have become popular in the city. Nowadays, a vast choice of meals available from the likes of Grab and Foodpanda delivery services. Should you rent an apartment, you can shop at markets and supermarkets for your food. Being on a tight budget I often purchase from Makro for fresh meat, chicken, rice, and noodles and so on.

Getting around
It is of course possible to hire a motorbike or car but I prefer to either walk or use Grab tuk-tuk services. Very easy to use, simply download their app and away you go. Most short journeys cost less than $1.5 and upwards of $3 will take you to most destinations in the city. Occasionally, I use the public bus service which costs 1500Riels per journey, very cheap but of course, not door to door.

I hope that this is helpful but for all other information about safety and insurance, visa requirements and site seeing etc. please refer to our comprehensive Phnom Penh Guide at https://www.fuzzykensblog.com

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » January 6, 2024, 2:28 am

Still affordable.

I like the sound of that!

Thanks, Ken.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » January 6, 2024, 8:49 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
BobZubali wrote:
Kenneth,

Regards
pipoz4444
Sorry but that is incorrect. You can only extend a tourist visa once, for 30 days. You need to enter on an (E) ordinary visa.

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » January 6, 2024, 10:05 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
January 6, 2024, 8:49 am
pipoz4444 wrote:
BobZubali wrote:
Kenneth,

Regards
pipoz4444
Sorry but that is incorrect. You can only extend a tourist visa once, for 30 days. You need to enter on an (E) ordinary visa.
Is an (E) ordinary visa obtained from a Cambo embassy/consulate, or obtained on entry (to Cambo)?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » January 6, 2024, 10:20 pm

Via entry. The ordinary gives you the opportunity to request an EG extension, if you don’t qualify for a ER or EB extension, for up to six (6) months, to search for employment. Under the tourist visa, legally, you cannot work or search for employment and must leave the country within thirty days, or sixty days if you get an extension. There is nothing an agent can do for you except get you one 30-day extension before you must leave the country if you enter on a Tourist visa.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » January 7, 2024, 10:29 am

As with all countries, Cambodia has a range of visas to suit various needs.

However, for anyone considering living and or working here, particularly first-time visitors, the 30-day VOA provides a sensible starting point.

While here, it will be possible to investigate a range of options, such as retirement, business or tourism etc. and of course, get a feel for the country and its people.

Because visa requirements are subject to change, sometimes at short notice, I would recommend entering on the 30-day VOA, available at Phnom Penh airport, for most nationalities, and after arrival, seek advice from a knowledgeable English-speaking local visa agent. Lucky Lucky have years of experience, and will be happy to discuss and advise on your particular needs. They will also be able to advise on such matters as work permits, current income tax laws for all those working in Cambodia and driving licenses.

In my experience, face to face contact is always far better than scanning the internet, sending emails and making telephone calls etc.

Furthermore, to avoid misunderstandings, from the beginning of this year, there are large clear signs at all entry ports, informing visitors that employment is prohibited to those holding tourist visas, and a new style entry stamp in your passport, confirms this.

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » January 7, 2024, 6:32 pm

Fuzzy Ken wrote:
January 7, 2024, 10:29 am
As with all countries, Cambodia has a range of visas to suit various needs.

However, for anyone considering living and or working here, particularly first-time visitors, the 30-day VOA provides a sensible starting point.

While here, it will be possible to investigate a range of options, such as retirement, business or tourism etc. and of course, get a feel for the country and its people.

Because visa requirements are subject to change, sometimes at short notice, I would recommend entering on the 30-day VOA, available at Phnom Penh airport, for most nationalities, and after arrival, seek advice from a knowledgeable English-speaking local visa agent. Lucky Lucky have years of experience, and will be happy to discuss and advise on your particular needs. They will also be able to advise on such matters as work permits, current income tax laws for all those working in Cambodia and driving licenses.

In my experience, face to face contact is always far better than scanning the internet, sending emails and making telephone calls etc.

Furthermore, to avoid misunderstandings, from the beginning of this year, there are large clear signs at all entry ports, informing visitors that employment is prohibited to those holding tourist visas, and a new style entry stamp in your passport, confirms this.

Thanks, Ken.

Return to “Travel & Transport”